• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add focus/Modify Focus doesn't work

New Here ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this posted before but not seen a good answer.  I have a trial version of PSE 15.0, 20160905.m.97630 x64  on Win 10 Pro, 64 bit. Toshiba Satellite laptop, 16GB RAM. I tried resetting general preferences, though I had never touched them.  In Guided Edit, in the zoom burst effect the add focus area button doesn't work.  Similarly, in the tilt shift effect, the analogous button, modify focus area, doesn't work.  By doesn't work, I mean nothing happens when I click the button and draw a line on the photograph as directed.  I'm pretty sure I'm using the tool correctly, as I've used it in several previous versions of PSE.  TIA,

Rick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

We sincerely apologize you for this inconvenience.

I am sure that you are using the edit correctly. Still, to be sure, I would request you to please try doing it the way as mentioned in this help article:Guided mode - Special Edits in Photoshop Elements

Now in case, you face the same issue still, please let me know. We will have this issue investigated and provide you the appropriate solution.

Thanks,

Arshla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Arisha --

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I

followed the instructions in the help article

whose link you gave me to the letter, and still I face the same issue.

Thanks,

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you click on the 'Next' button to continue in Expert mode and show a screenshot of your layers palette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rickb91787829  wrote

Here you go

No screenshot attached???

To attach a screenshot you have to be working in the forum directly, not by answering via mail. Use the 7th icon on top of this dialog.

My purpose is to see how the mask on the last layer is showing.

It's easy to apply such effects in the Expert mode. You add a blurred layer, then a copy of the original to which you add a mask.

You select the mask (Alt click on the mask to show a blank screen) and apply a black to white gradient to reveal black parts.

The 'Guided' edits are good tutorials to show you the way in Expert mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here's a screenshotLayers.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means that the creation of the gradient in the mask does not work. It would work the same in Expert mode if you had both foreground and background in black. That might help Adobe to troubleshoot the problem if the guided process does not insure the selection of the proper black to white gradient.

You might try to 'reset all tools' - small icon on the right side of the top bar of the tools palette.(4 horizontal bars).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had tried reset all tools (see my original post); I tried it again, still no luck.  What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rickb91787829  wrote

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had tried reset all tools (see my original post); I tried it again, still no luck.  What now?

I hope the information your have given will help the Elements team to find a possible bug in the Guided edit process. Remember that other users have no problems with that feature and that if they can't reproduce the issue, nothing will be done.

So, if you ask me, my answer is simple. Use the expert mode. Even if you end up with your screenshot, you simply select the mask (Alt click on the mask so that the editing space is showing only black, then use the gradient tool with the right settings depending on the effect, black to white, linear or circular). Alt click again to leave editing the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks a lot for this information.

What is happening in your case is that the blur is getting removed from whole image i.e focus is taking up all of the image and not the part of it.

Just a query:

Are you drawing the line , once , only on part of the image (which would add focus to just that part)?

And the best solution to rectifying this issue would be to uninstall and re-install the application which would set it right.

Thanks,

Arshla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Arshla --

Actually, none of the blur is being removed.  And yes, I've been drawing the line only once, on the part of the image to which I want to add focus.

OK, I will uninstall and reinstall the software.  I hope it works well because this is still a trial version.  Is there anything special I will need to do?  If so, you may want to reply to me by direct email, since reinstalling a trial version is no longer part of this thread.

Thanks for all your help.  Your prompt attention to my difficulties is very welcome.

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Apologies for being late in reverting to you.

Uninstalling -reinstalling trial works just like any other application. Reinstall would have your remaining period continue from your last install.

Let me know in case you have any query.

Thanks,

Arshla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  The "Add Focus Area" does absolutely nothing.

It didn't work when I first got PSE 14.  I changed hard drives and reinstalled PSE 14 and it still doesn't work.

I just don't bother with that step.

I skip to the next step...  "Refine Effect".

I slide the opacity bar to 100%, make the brush size convenient for what I'm doing and the brush just erases all the blur that you "paint" over.

You can then use the Refine Effect to taper off the effect by graduating the opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem.  Adding focus of any kind, even just a dot, eleminates the blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines