• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adding canvas using Photo Elements 2021

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Photoshop Elements 2021 add canvas by extending background? I have selected Canvas Size, made the appropriate adjustments including selecting background as the canvas extension color but when I click Edit the Fill Selection choice is not active. What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Thanks for your help. I discovered that my problem was that I did the editing while in QUICK setting instead of EXPERT setting. It worked perfectly in the EXPERT setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Photoshop Elements forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do or what you are have done.

Are you trying to increase the size of an image by adding to the canvas/border area and then filling that empty canvas with Content Aware pixels?  If so, you need to first add to the size of the canvas so that your current image is bound by a new (background color) border.  Then you need to select the border pixels (by using the Magic Wand).  Finally, in the Edit>Fill Selection dialog, use the Content Aware option from the drop down menu.  The selected border will then be filled with an extension of the image.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.03.14_17h06m27s_000_SnapCollage.png

If this is not what you mean, please gives us more details of your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you resize your canvas using the cropping tool it fills i nthe new canvas with your background color. 

I just select the cropping tool, and drag it around the entire image- then adust the canvas size. 

2021-03-15_052615.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the photo I am trying to fix. Since the bird is about to exit the frame I want to extend background in front of the bird. When I use either the wizard tool or the cropping to extend the background and then click EDIT the FILL dialog is not active.

P3010077-Edit-Edit.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say that the Edit>Fill option is not active, did you actually try to click on it?  (I agree that the menu choice appears to be a lighter grey than other active options in the menu, but no matter what I have tried the option is always available.)

If that is not the problem, then have you actually selected the blank canvas e.g. with the Rectangular Marquee tool? 

Alternatively, does your edit have multiple layers?  And if so, which layer are you selecting?

If the tool is still not working for you, try resetting the preferences file. Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Content Aware fill does a great job with your photo:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.03.15_17h07m36s_000_SnapCollage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I discovered that my problem was that I did the editing while in QUICK setting instead of EXPERT setting. It worked perfectly in the EXPERT setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Fellflobber, thanks for letting us know what the problem was.  I almost never use Quick Mode, so I easily forget that only a limited set of commands are available there.  Great photo, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines