• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Gradient to Layer Mask

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add a gradient for the sky of a photo. When I have the Layer Mask in place and try to add the gradient, all I get is a transparency over the area I want the gradient to affect. When I try to do the same thing with a new blank document, it works and I get the blue to white gradient on the blank document. I am forgetting or not doing something I need to do for the gradient on the photo. (WIN 10, Ele 2020)

Thanks for your help,

Sonja

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us a screenshot of your layer panel.  I'm guessing that you either do not have the correct layer selected or you need to make sure the sky mask is selected before applying the gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thought:  you should duplicate the background and apply the mask to the new layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I've totally messed up what you should do.  The blue-white gradient needs to be applied to a background (or lower) layer and the sky mask will allow the gradient to show through in the sky area (unless you masked the ground).  Sorry for confusing you but it would be helpful if you show us what you have done and we can figure it out better for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or  . .  . it would be better to forget about the mask. 

• Select the sky using the magic wand tool.
  • Copy the selection to a new layer (Ctrl+J). 
  • Lock the transparent pixels on the new sky layer (click smaller padlock icon above layers panel)
  • Select the sky layer and apply the gradient

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.21_10h21m15s_001_.png

I think I need some morning coffee. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an advanced technique for replacing a drab sky. It requires a picture of a nice blue sky with clouds, nothing else on it. You can take it youself or obtain one from another source, e.g. Google Images.

1. Open the picture with the "good" replacement sky and copy it to the clipboard

2. Open the the picture with the drab sky and paste the replacemet sky. It will come in on a separate layer. Activate the move tool and with the corner handles resize the sky and drag it over the drab sky. Set the layer blending mode to darken.

3. Set your foreground color chip to white

4. Drag the foreground to transparent linear gradient from below up (south to north) to the top of the tree line, while holding down the shift key

5. With a soft white brush at reduced opacity paint the horizon a tad, as this should be lighter than the rest of the sky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use this sky picture.

sky.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines