Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Elements 2019 - "watch" network folder

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear forum,

I'm currently evaluating Adobe Elements 2019 and within the Organizer application I can select to watch a folder. Elements is installed on a Windows 10 computer.

However, adding a mapped network folder results in nothing. Means, when I browse to a folder and hit ok, it just doesn't add it to the list of watched folders. No error message, nothing.

Is this an expected behaviour? Can this somehow troubleshooted, as no error message appears?

Regards, Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

I'm on Win 10 and I browsed through the Network to a folder on a networked device (a very old NAS).  I added a couple of photos to the folder and the Organizer found them.  However, the first time I tried after a reboot, the network could not be found until I went to the Network shortcut on my desktop and waited until a refresh of the devices on my computer.  So, once Windows could see the device, so could the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you need to map the network drive to a drive letter in order for watched folders to work with a network folder.   (I may be wrong about this, but give it a try just in case.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

That's what I've done, it's a mapped drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm . . .   I knew there was some kind of issue with watched folders and network drives.  I've done a little digging and found that you probably can't use a network drive letter as a watched folder, but you can use a network share name or alias instead of the drive letter to watch a folder on the network.  I've never done this myself, so can't confirm whether it works.  Please let us know if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried this out on my machine and I was able to successfully add the folder as a watched folder. 

Snap10_2019.05.04_10h20m34s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, that's odd. What OS do you have? Do you browsed throught the network or pointed to a mapped drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Win 10 and I browsed through the Network to a folder on a networked device (a very old NAS).  I added a couple of photos to the folder and the Organizer found them.  However, the first time I tried after a reboot, the network could not be found until I went to the Network shortcut on my desktop and waited until a refresh of the devices on my computer.  So, once Windows could see the device, so could the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Greg,

ok, so after re-enabling Network Discovery on my Windows Server 2016, where the pictures are stored, this one appears when crawling with Organizer into the network. As there's no option within Organizer to point to an UNC path, network discovery need to be enabled on the target host. As you have a linux-based server with SMB on it, that's most of the time pre-activated.

Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad we were able to figure this one out as I found a number of similar threads on this forum with unanswered questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines