• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Facial Recognition Elements Organizer 2020 Freezes at Analysis Number Unless Restarted

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time using Photoshop Elements. Have about 45k photos and it started doing facial recognition and moved pretty fast to about 5k photos analyzed. Well hours later I went back and it is still at that exact same number. Shut it down rebooted the computer and it restarted does about 10 photos and locked up. Shut it down restart it does about 10 photos and locks up again. Left it alone for an hour and it still stays at that locked up number.

Disabled Metaanalysis for everything else and it kicked off 20 or so photos and then locked again.

Windows 10 Computer, 32gb of RAM. Nothing else running the background. 

Any help or thoughts or troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any other version of Elements installed on your machine?

To make sure that face recognition is stopping, look at the .json files in the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\[YOUR CATALOG NAME]\FaceAnalysis\json\

There will be a .json file for every image that has been analyzed.  If you sort the folder by Date Modified, you can easily determine whether FR is running or not, and when it stopped running.

Also, take a look at Task Manager to see what activity is taking place, and whether any Elements processes are in a suspended state.  This is different than showing as non-responsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time using Elements, relatively brand new computer I built less than a year ago so it's pretty clean in terms of legacy installs.

Looked in that folder and the json stopped right when the number froze and I went to bed last night leaving it running. Waking up this morning it is at the exact same number. With no new JSON files overnight. I closed it and reopened and it did exactly 17 new photo scans (17 new JSON files) and then froze again.

Pasted below what is running in task manager, which is similar to what it looked like yesterday looking at it. Low CPU usage 200 MB/s disk usage.

Kevnsheri_0-1596379869053.png

Not sure if it is applicable but in the bottom left I get the APPLE looking working spinning icon and when I click on it it says generating thumbnails 1 of 39k and also appears frozen. It was at 1 of 39050 last night and now says 1 of 39049.

Kevnsheri_1-1596380087505.png

Appreciate the quick response and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to your screenshot, there is still some activity going on in the Organizer.

Are you using Win 10 Pro?

Try turning off ALL media analysis in Preferences, reboot the computer, then turn on only FR for Photos.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.02_13h59m13s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I had already previously done that seeing it as a recommendation from previous issues. It didnt help. However what I just did seems to have worked.

I completely uninstalled Elements (Photoshop/Premier), deleted the adobe folder in PROGRAMDATA and reinstalled from scratch and rebuilt my catalog.

So far it has made it to 8k photos out of 48k without issue and seems to be churning along. I hope this is the fix. I am guessing something I did as it made the catalog just caused a corruption. Appreciate the help, will update if it hits another stop point. 

Really appreciate the help,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please confirm that your solution has worked.  Also, I am really curious whether you have Windows 10 Pro edition.  Most of the reports I have seen of this problem have been with Windows Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far still chugging along at 16k of 48k.

Using Windows 10 Education Edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it made it to 34k out of 48k before starting to do the same thing. Freezes at a number for hours, restart the program and it does about 10 photos then freezes again. Probably just gonna leave it running for awhile pending any ideas/suggestions to correct. 

-

I did turn off all other media analysis and restart still did the same thing.  Running out of ideas... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update I had a chat with ADOBE tech support who recommended I go in and reset the preferences via appdate and renaming the Elements Organizer folder from 18.0 to 18.0.old which worked momentarily and it cranked through about 100 photos but was a temp fix and has now been frozen for 24+ hours on the same number of facial recognitions done. Adobe kept my case open and wants to wait 2 days to see if it pushes through something and starts recognizing faces again. Not holding my breath but nothing I can do.

Any helpful tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same exact issue and using the 2021 version.  Software I have to admit is loaded with bugs.  Your exact issue was replicated on two seperate machines I've tried to use this software on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines