Highlighted

Advice on restoring Elements to a new PC from only an external disc backup please.

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, looking for some help before I mess things up.

Had Photoshop Elements 9 on a laptop that I can't access because of an OS failure when I did a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.

I have a backup on WD External drive of all my files, a backup using the WD software. This is NOT a backup run through Elements.

Is there a way I can import the photos and catalog (not losing tags) from the External Drive to the new PC?

I would imagine that the problem would involve Catalog not recognising the file address?

I would also immagine that it would be preferable a current version of Elements?

Thanks for any suggestions and input you can give me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Advice on restoring Elements to a new PC from only an external disc backup please.

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, looking for some help before I mess things up.

Had Photoshop Elements 9 on a laptop that I can't access because of an OS failure when I did a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade.

I have a backup on WD External drive of all my files, a backup using the WD software. This is NOT a backup run through Elements.

Is there a way I can import the photos and catalog (not losing tags) from the External Drive to the new PC?

I would imagine that the problem would involve Catalog not recognising the file address?

I would also immagine that it would be preferable a current version of Elements?

Thanks for any suggestions and input you can give me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, only backups made from the organizer can restore a backup folder to a new computer or drive while keeping the links to the new location of the media files.

If you have a backup of all your files, you may have a way to recover your catalog folder. It's a folder containing a file named 'catalog.pse9db' file. Using that catalog folder would result with all media files disconnected as you correctly imagine.

Using PSE9 or a newer version would not make a difference, you would have to 'reconnect' your files, which is not strictly impossible, but would require a lot of efforts and time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Michel says, it is quite possible but a little time-consuming to reconnect all of your media files. 

You have not told us about your new computer setup.  Is it another laptop or a desktop?   I ask because if you have more than one internal drive on a desktop, it would perhaps be possible to restore the external backup to an internal drive and then copy the catalog folder mentioned by Michel to a default location on the new computer's OS drive (C:).  Depending on your media folder structure on the old computer, you may then be able to recreate it on the new machine by copying the folders to the new drive C.  That would at least avoid the problems of disconnected files.  If you have a new laptop, this strategy would also work by restoring the backup to another external drive.  However that would take a little longer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2019 0
renz1878 LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies guys.

Greg, I'll try doing what you suggested and see if it works.

Cheers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2019 0