Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another UI/DPI question

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I just got PSE v18 (2020). Everything is fine except for the UI size. I've read the proposed solutions and they're not up to snuff. Let me explain.

I'm running Windows 10 at 4K (3840x2160) with an automatic DPI setting of 150%. With PSE set to "Automatic" the UI defaults to 200%. The image still scales appropriately, but the UI is too big. Set to 100% scaling, image size remains 1:1 as it should, but the UI is now too small. IOW, there's no 150% UI scaling. Worse than that, it's impossible to change even at a registry level.

I know the recommended "fix" on this site that states that I could override the DPI settings with "System" or "System (Enhanced)". However, while that DOES fix the UI, it now makes images look bigger than they should. UI scaling should not impact image scaling. They should remain independent. IOW, scaling the UI 100%, 150%, 200%, 300%, or whatever should not cause the image to also scale. That it does is unacceptable.

I've read claims that this is a MS related problem and such. Maybe there's something else going on that I don't know. To me, it sounds like passing the buck because I also know that it is NOT an issue with Photoshop CC and hasn't been for years. UI can be scaled independently from the work images. From what I've read, this has been an ongoing PSE problem for years now.

Is there or will there ever be a legitimate, working, non-workaround fix? I'd prefer to stay with Photoshop, but would rather use PSE since I don't really need some of the more esoteric features like CYMK and such. For most users, even working artists, there's a lot about the CC version that's just overkill. PSE with some addons does the job just fine.

Still, if this issue cannot or will not ever get fixed - for whatever reason - then you're going to drive users to non-Adobe apps. GIMP, for example, can do just about everything that PSE can (and more with the right addons) and it costs absolutely nothing.

Again, I'd much rather stick with Adobe products and PSE specifically. It's just that the UI is either too big or too small. Across a day's work, hopping from app to app, that is rough on the eyes. If PSE's UI seems to big then the next, appropriately scaled, app's UI now feels too small. If PSE's UI seems too small then the next, also appropriately scaled, app's UI now seems too big.

Many other apps don't have this problem and enable users to scale UI independently from the work images. If the problem doesn't exist in PSCC then I see no reason why it should exist in PSE, other than to force end users into subscriptions. That you can't even manually set UIRunningScale to 150% in the registry is annoying.

My specs, once again: Windows 10, 4K res (3840x2160), PSE 2020 (v18).

Thanks for any help. Even if you can't help, thanks anyway.

TOPICS
Feature request , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, but I'm not understanding your problem re the image scaling.  Can you post a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines