• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backing up just catalog entry

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had to restore Drive C from a disc image. All my photos are on another drive, well backed up and in the cloud. But the catalogue itself is stored on Dics C so was reset to an earlier version so I have lost all the changes to it. Ideally I want to store the catalogue on a disc other than C so I have more control over keeping it backed up.

Barry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sayshepenmayhit  wrote

I have had to restore Drive C from a disc image. All my photos are on another drive, well backed up and in the cloud. But the catalogue itself is stored on Dics C so was reset to an earlier version so I have lost all the changes to it. Ideally I want to store the catalogue on a disc other than C so I have more control over keeping it backed up.

Barry

Locate your catalog folder: menu Help >> System Information.

You can move or copy the whole folder anywhere else on an internal or external conventional drive.

Simply locate the folder when searching for the new location in the new computer.

The backup/restore function of the organizer backups both the catalog folder and your photo files tree library.

You can restore in a custom location on another drive. The catalog folder is also restored there and the links in the catalog are updated to the new photo files location. That's generally not the case when you choose another backup solution like the Cloud. Your library and catalog are restored, ok,  but the catalog still points to the old location. The location identifier in Windows includes not only the drive letter, but the internal disk serial number. If the original drive is broken, all files will be shown as disconnected when you restore on a new drive, partition or  master folder.

Don't think it's smarter to use only external backup systems rather than the integrated process in the organizer, expecially if you intend to move to another computer or drive. What is best is to use both your preferred backup method and periodically the integrated organizer one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines