• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backing up photos in Elements 15 to a USB stick

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Elements 15 which, since it was imported from my old computer to a new one, is not very stable and I would like to upgrade to Elements 2020 – which, I assume, will automatically hoover up all the photos currently on Elements 15.  But it seemed sensible to back up the full catalog first to a USB stick.

Elements 15 displays that it has photos from 2005 to November 2019 and assesses the total as 68,677.30 MB.  I have a 128 GB memory stick which is clearly ample.  I happened to be looking at the screen when it was showing that the backup was 70-odd% complete.  But then the screen went white apart from a box which said ‘Refreshing’.  Then the backup stopped.

When I looked at what was on the USB stick I saw that the ‘used space’ is 22.7GB. If 1GB = 1024MB then that is only 23,244MB – about one-third of what should be there.

Also, the USB stick has JPEG files with dates from 2005 to January 2017 and JSON files with dates from January 2017 to now.

Now, I got the new computer in January 2017.  I moved across from the old computer the Elements programme and all the photos on it.  All the photos that I have put on Elements since it was moved onto the new computer are missing from the backup – even though Elements obviously recognises them, included them in its estimate of the size of the backup which was only 70-odd% complete when it stopped, and seems to have backed up the associated JSON files.

In addition, there are no JSON files with a date earlier than January 2017.  Were the JSON files relating to the pre-January 2017 photos redated when the photos were put onto the new computer?

The most worrying point is the absence from the backup of the photos put on Elements on the new computer.  Have you any idea why they were not picked up and how that might be remedied?

And if I upgrade to Elements 2020, will all the photos be taken up, both pre- and post-January 2017 and am I likely to carry over the same backup problem?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Photoshop Elements forum from Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't backup on a USB stick. That is stated nowhere but it has been reported and I have verified that for some unknown reasons you get real problems even if the disk space is enough. Use a USB external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines