• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backup Catalog files (without pictures)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PSE catalog files are in the default location on the C:\drive  (C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs), and my pictures are stored on a NAS drive not on this computer.  My photos are backed up directly from my NAS, but I would also like to back up the catalog files in case there is a local hard drive failure.  I use Carbonite for my backup needs, and Carbonite does not allow anything in "C:\ProgramData" to be backed up.

Is there a way of backing up these catalog files so that if I move to a different PC, or need to replace my C:\ drive, that I don't lose my catalog?

Thanks,

Darren

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

darrens99829846  wrote

My PSE catalog files are in the default location on the C:\drive  (C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs), and my pictures are stored on a NAS drive not on this computer.  My photos are backed up directly from my NAS, but I would also like to back up the catalog files in case there is a local hard drive failure.  I use Carbonite for my backup needs, and Carbonite does not allow anything in "C:\ProgramData" to be backed up.

Is there a way of backing up these catalog files so that if I move to a different PC, or need to replace my C:\ drive, that I don't lose my catalog?

Thanks,

Darren

The catalog files can be copied or moved from the default location anywhere else. The contents of the catalog don't change, so where is the issue?

The real question is that even if you move or copy the catalog file elsewhere (on another internal or external drive or another non system master folder) you have to be protected. Are you sure Carbonite will do the job?

- you believe the NAS is an adequate safety protection. We have seen cases of NAS failures.

- You can store the catalog folders in an other location outside of the default location and outside of the NAS. Then you need a backup too. Possibly by Carbonite.

- Imagine you are in a situation where you have to restore on a new computer because your computer or your NAS is stolen and you have a good Carbonite backup. Then, I can't give you the answer because I'll never use a NAS for storing my photo files and because any cloud backup system is much, much too slow for me. So you'll have to test yourself something. Any catalog keeps the links to the real location of the files in the database by the identification of the drive (drive letter AND serial number of the drive). I have serious doubts that the restored catalog will be able to point to the new restored location. I may be wrong, but are you ready to trust your backup scheme without any verification?

The usual advice is to make it simple (and affordable). Store your photo library on a standard internal or external drive. Make organizer backups alternatively on two or more other external drives. Store on of those drives outside of your home. If you want to use your NAS for backup or sharing, use a backup or sync application to sync your library from the original drive. Any of your backups in the external drives will be able to restore anything (with correct links) to any totally new hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  I've had pretty good success using the NAS, which I like because the pictures are then accessible by multiple computers.  I have switched primary computers (the one where Elements is installed) a couple times, and just moved the catalog file from one PC to another, so at least the test of linking to the real location has passed.  I attach the NAS folders by directory letter, so it appears as long as the directory letter is restored (regardless of the NAS device and serial number), the pictures can be read using the Elements catalog from the NAS on another computer.

I have also experienced a NAS failure, and to your point, if I didn't have a different local backup it would have been a challenging restore, and I would have had to pay for a physical copy from Carbonite.

So I guess my need comes down to how to move the catalog from the default location to a new location that Carbonite can access.  Every tutorial on Elements seems to focus on moving the entire catalog with pictures.  Any idea on how to just move the catalog default location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, in my previous answer:

The catalog files can be copied or moved from the default location anywhere else. The contents of the catalog don't change,

I did not state that this is done from the Explorer, not from the organizer. You open your moved or copied catalogs from the organizer, selecting 'custom' location and browsing;  I prefer to simply double click on the 'catalog.pse17db' database file to open the organizer directly with the catalog.

so it appears as long as the directory letter is restored (regardless of the NAS device and serial number), the pictures can be read using the Elements catalog from the NAS on another computer.

No, that's not enough. The links in the database point to a drive which is defined by the letter, but in priority by the internal serial number of the drive. So if you want to restore the library on another physical drive, you'll have to 'reconnect' all your files, which is generally a chore (even with the same drive letter).

If I wanted to take advantage of a NAS to share on an home network, I could store my main library in a conventional drive (internal or external). That could be on a new master folder, on a different internal or external drive. Then I would use a sync utility to sync that library to the NAS, keeping the ability to share, while having the NAS as an additional backup solution. I would also sync my catalog folder (the moved one) to the NAS. Anyway I would also use the organizer to backup catalog and library to one or two external USB drives. At least, this is the only easy and safe way to migrate everything to a new computer. For instance I can simply bring the small and cheep external USB drive with me when I am away from home to a new place with the same Elements version on a new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines