• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Processing

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...I have a small home based business where I do photo scanning and organizing for clients. In an effort to improve my current workflow, I'm curious as to what edits I can do in batches. Specifically batch cropping (helpful when I have scanned muliple of the same style and size photo ablum page), batch color correction and batch red eye correction...is it possible to do these things with PSE 18? Is there somewhere I can get a list of what items can be processed in batches?

any info appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do red eye and basic fixes. Launch the editor and go to:

File >> Process Multiple Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's awesome!! Thanks! And to think I have been wasting so much time doing everyone individually. thanks for your response...I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit batches of jpeg, psd or tiff files in the ACR module just like with raw files. Imagine you open 20 to 50 files at the same time, they do appear in the vertical film strip on the left. You can select all, or some files, or just one and apply the same correction, particularly color correction, cropping (you can define a custom ratio or common ones), straightening, denoising or sharpening, clarity... You apply selectively different edits to smaller batches, and when finished, you select all and either click 'done' or 'open'. The other advantage is that all those edits are saved and you know what you have done to each file (it's parametric, so non-destructive).

You also get the 'export' options of the organizer (resizing, renaming...)

And if you are interested in managing more types of batches, I recommend the affordable Elements+ add-on. Many scripts are available. You can even learn how to create your own scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...I appreciate the response. I'm going to try it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, You can tell me where I can go to get specific training on batch processing? Also where do I get the Elements add-on you reference? I am interested in one-on-one training on this topic if you have a resource for that as well. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add another option for batch processing, take a look at the Instant Fix editor in the Organizer.  While it doesn't have all of the options of the ACR editor, it does have many quick and easy edits, and has an interface for viewing larger thumbnails than the ACR.  If you use the Organizer, and it is sufficient for your needs, I believe the Instant Fix provides a speedier workflow than going to the ACR.  Cropping, however, has to be done on a single image in the IF editor rather than through a batch process, which makes sense.

Also, if you are scanning multiple images on a flatbed scanner, in the Editor>Image menu, there is a tool to automatically divide the scanned photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Michael, You can tell me where I can go to get specific training on batch processing? Also where do I get the Elements add-on you reference? I am interested in one-on-one training on this topic if you have a resource for that as well. Thanks."

Sorry, I have no personal experience with training solutions. The Elements online help will point to a number of videos as well as in Youtube. While you'll get a lot of them for features like the 'instant fix' mentioned by Greg_S, it will be more problematic for general learning about batch processing.

A simple Google search will give you the link to the Elements+ site. The author provides a number of videos to illustrate the use of scripts.

Unfortunately, I have not found a comprehensive tutorial about using the ACR module in Elements. The 'Help' button in the dialog gives very schematic answers and it's necessary to spend time to understand the editing principle by storing a 'recipe' along with the unchanged original pixels and also to master the ACR tools. For instance, for a long time, I did miss the ability to use all crop options. Those crop option only appear with a LONG press on the crop icon...

I suggest to start by trying the 'instant fix' (see Greg_s post) and to use the organizer to master the 'export' options and the editor 'process multiple files' command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines