Bounding Box Does Not Show Outside Active Area

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this issue on several forums for Photoshop CC but nothing for Elements 2021.  I am used to using the old Photoshop CS5.5 where I could see the bounding box as the image overlapped the main window.  With Elements, the bounding box with handles shows only inside the active window.   If the pasted image is too large, then I have to maneuver it back and forth within the window to size it appropriately.  Very inconvenient!

I have updated to v19.0.

I have reset all Tools and restarted. 

I have "Show Bounding Box" ticked.

What am I missing please?

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestions:

- check your preference for allowing zooming with the scroll wheel

- use the preference to allow floating documents in expert view

- compare your copy an paste workflow to the 'drag and drop' from the photo bin. You drag and drop a photo from the bin to the displayed canvas. The bounding box appears resized to fit in the displayed image: it's a preview showing the 'smart layer' which you can resize, move and tilt without losing original quality. Much simpler and faster than copy and paste layers from the layers panel. If you don't like it, there is a preference to disable it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply Michel.  My preferences allow zooming with scroll wheel.

My preferences allow floating documents in expert view.

Whether I copy and paste or drag and drop from the photo bin, the results are the same.   The bounding box does not show outside the active window.

Please see screenshots.  The black box is copy and paste.  The red box is drag and drop.

I would appreciate continued ideas to try.  Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand at all your screenshot.

Here is one from creating a composite on a standard A4 paper from three source files of bigger dimensions by dragging from the photo bin.

Composite-1.jpg

I have set the background color for the floating document windows to blue.

- yellow for the A4 canvas.

- I have first dragged the golden statue, which landed on the middle of the A4 canvas, and I moved the layer to the left.

- I moved again the same photo from the photo bin, resized it, straightened it and moved it partly on the border of the canvas.

- I dragged the photo on the top, resized it and moved it up.

- Finally I dragged the photo with the red statue and resized it and moved it down so that the bounding box is visible outside of the canvas as well as within the canvas.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your example, the layer that is selected is showing the bounding box at the bottom in the blue section.  This is what I am trying to achieve.

Here is another example with a full size pic of my youngest grandchildren in the middle so you can see what it should look like.  Then I added another layer with the same image but pulled it up and to the side.  The bounding box shows within the blue area but not on the grey area.  

I did a second image where I used the selection tool to show what I mean where the bounding box is missing.  I hope this makes sense to you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . .  If I understand you correctly, the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+0 for Windows will make visible any bounding box that is off screen.  I assume that for Macs it is Cmd+0.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Greg, I know that Cmd + 0 should make visible the bounding box that is off-screen, however it doesn't, which is the reason I am writing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of macOS do you have?

This is photoshop elements 2021 running on macOS Mojave 1014.6 and the Bounding Box shows outside the documrnt bounds.

bb.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Elements 2021 on Big Sur v11.1 - new computer 2020 MacBook Pro.

I wonder if you've hit upon it.  I didn't have any problems using it on my old computer using Mojave.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's possible it's a bug with Big Sur and especially if your new mac is an M1 with Big Sur.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
marypearson AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  It is not an M1 for the following reasons.

I was going to buy the M1 chip but when you compare it with the Intel, I could only get

16 GB RAM with M1 compared to 32GB RAM with Intel

Up to 2 TB storage with M1 compared to 4 TB storage with Intel

2 Thunderbolt ports with M1 compared to 4 with Intel

Battery life is longer with M1 but I use this computer as my desktop so it's always plugged in.

So bottom line, it's not an M1.  It's an Intel, but it does have Big Sur.  I wonder if anyone else running Big Sur has the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines