Highlighted

Brush tool not working when masking

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush tool is not working. When I mask a layer and want to reveal using white or conceal using black it does a combination of both. When making my brush black it doesn't conceal or work at all. When making my brush white to reveal (after clicking control i) it will alternate between reveal one second then conceals the next second. Please help. Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by hatstead | Adobe Community Professional

I don't have a clue which version of PSE you are using, but try the following:

1. In Editor, go to Image>Mode and be sure that RGB color is checked.
  2. Make sure that you have the ordinary brush tool, not one of the other "brushes" that are available in the brush slot
  3. Open the image
  4. Duplicate the Background layer
  5. Add a Solid Color Adjustment layer between the Background & Background Copy layers.
  6. Group the top 2 layers (press CTRL+G), and shut off the visibility of the Background layer by clicking on its eye icon
  7. Left click on the Layer mask thumbnail (the white rectangle)
  8. Paint with black/white to hide/reveal. The brush should be @100% opacity

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Brush tool not working when masking

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush tool is not working. When I mask a layer and want to reveal using white or conceal using black it does a combination of both. When making my brush black it doesn't conceal or work at all. When making my brush white to reveal (after clicking control i) it will alternate between reveal one second then conceals the next second. Please help. Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by hatstead | Adobe Community Professional

2. Make sure that you have the ordinary brush tool, not one of the other "brushes" that are available in the brush slot
  3. Open the image
  5. Add a Solid Color Adjustment layer between the Background & Background Copy layers.
  6. Group the top 2 layers (press CTRL+G), and shut off the visibility of the Background layer by clicking on its eye icon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 15, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. Open the image

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2019 0