• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can only run elements 2020 as an administrator

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had elements 2020 on a Windows 10 Pro laptop and it ran fine with no issues.  I then installed it on my Windows 10 Pro desktop and I get an error 16 and the only way I can run the program is Run as Adminitrator.  I even removed all Adobe software and ran  the Creative Cloud Cleaner, then removed any Adobe files I could find, then re-installed the software and ended up with the same issue.  I searched Adobe.com and tried a lot of the fixes with no success.  Yes I can run as administrator but it should not be that way.  It has been irritating to say the least.  Why does Adobe make their software so difficult?

TOPICS
Bug , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you should ask, Why does Microsoft make their software so difficult? 😉

This would seem to be a MSFT permissions problem.  Since you haven't given us any idea of what kind of solutions you have attempted (other than a clean uninstall/reinstall), it is difficult for us to give you an informed response.  I don't normally give a reply like this, but rather than limit your search to the Adobe site, I suggest you Google the problem.  There are many suggestions out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  Windows 10 Pro is way more than the average home user needs.  So much security, it drives me nuts.  Bring back XP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question:  When I removed Elements 2020 from my laptop to install on my desktop I forgot to sign out.  Will that cause any issues when installing on another PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/troubleshoot-installation-photoshop-elements-premiere.ht...

I followd the recommendations on this page and then installed Elements 2020 in simplified mode and as administrator.  As soon as installation is complete I get the Configuaration error window with error: 16 at the bottom.  The installation file was downloaded from Adobe as a zip file.  I also tried installing as it downloaded directly from Adobe with the same result.  This is befor I even open the program.  I am able to run as administrator with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, lets toss it over the fence and point a finger at Microsoft instead. The real issue is if we have a student using this software we can't even allow them to use it because it requires an ADMIN access rights for the computer to use it. The adobe program should be able to toss an error but it doesn't. The developers should have an answer to this or suggestions at least. How do you trouble shoot something that dies before ever making it into the program.

My windows build it Win 10 Enterprise LTSC.
Latest patches 2/17/21
Problem: Non admin users can't run the program.
What I know works:
Domain: admin (no issues)
If log in as Admin in Windows 10 it works just fine.
If I log in with non admin it dies before starting. Right click on the folder and run as admin it works "but you have to input admin credentials."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultfhseckvl52w1, Elements is licensed as a single user program.  So, it should not be surprising that the program will only work  with an admin account.  The program has to use sign in credentials for the person who owns the license.  I understand that Adobe may also sell Educational licenses, but I don't know whether this would fit your circumstances.  In any event, I don't think this is anything anyone on this user to user forum can help you with.  I suggest you contact Adobe Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm baffled at this response.
If Adobe doesn't like the platform MSFT provides, then perhaps they shouldn't code for them, but they still, like it or not, rule the computing world.

I came here in search of a solution and your later reply to someone else (Elements is licensed as a single user program.  So, it should not be surprising that the program will only work  with an admin account.) verifies why my troubleshooting and launching the app as a admin worked.

However jabbing at someone for not questioning MSFT and instead taking the stand that it's not Adobe's fault is just ... wow. Thank god you don't actually represent them, adobe's support threads and info articles are already as bad as can be and hard to find. You'd be the cherry on the cake for a full-on bad image for a company as large as Adobe.

But thanks for what little info you did provide, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even if you are the only user of your PC, you should have two accounts.  Your everyday account without admin privileges and an admin account.  Your everyday account will not install anything bad on your machine unless you enter the admin password or PIN.  This prevents hidden malware from entering via bogus or hidden links, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines