Highlighted

Cannot open a particular catalog with PSE17

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have several catalogs in my PSE17. After doing some changes (mainly tagging of photos, deleting a smaller number of photos) I have problems to open this particular one. Actually PSE cannot open that catalog whereas all the other catalogs behave normal and can be opened as usual.

I tried to repair the catalog with PSE. It looked like it would be doing something, but after a while it ended with the message, that repair was not possible.

The number of photos in the catalog is not really high (about 25.000), but of course it would mean work of quite some while to redo all the tagging.

Any attempt to help will be highly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Ludwig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cannot open a particular catalog with PSE17

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have several catalogs in my PSE17. After doing some changes (mainly tagging of photos, deleting a smaller number of photos) I have problems to open this particular one. Actually PSE cannot open that catalog whereas all the other catalogs behave normal and can be opened as usual.

I tried to repair the catalog with PSE. It looked like it would be doing something, but after a while it ended with the message, that repair was not possible.

The number of photos in the catalog is not really high (about 25.000), but of course it would mean work of quite some while to redo all the tagging.

Any attempt to help will be highly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Ludwig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 01, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get any messages when you try to open the catalog?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

as far as I remember PSE just failed to start and wanted to send a message to Adobe.

If there was any error message, it did not look like containing specific information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 0
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you send the message with details of your problem to Adobe?  The development team monitors these crash reporter issues and may get back to you with a solution.

I presume that the Organizer was open and that you attempted to change the catalog using the File>Manage Catalogs dialogs.  Does the program then crash when you try to open the problem catalog?  Are you then able to reopen the Organizer?  If not, try to press and hold the Shift key while opening the Organizer.  That will at least open the program to the Catalog Manager dialog and you can open one of your good catalogs.

If you have a corrupt catalog, I don't think there's much you can do without help from Adobe.  However, if you create a new catalog and import the same tagged files into them, you should be given the opportunity to also import the keyword tags with the media files.  This will save you the job of tagging them again.

(I will also try to notify somebody at Adobe about your problem.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I sent the message to Adobe.

I don't have any idea, how the catalog got corrupt. One day I closed the Organizer, without any unusual behavior. Next day I could not start it with the catalog. The Organizer fails more or less immediately. At the next attempt, I was asked if I want to proceed with that  catalog or with another one.

The DB file as such seems to be fine. I can edit the file with SQLite. But there is nothing I could identify as failure or problem. What really puzzles me and where I am not sure if it somehow sticks together: I restore the catalog from backup files I have created from time to time. I took some time, but it looked fine so far. But starting the restored catalog caused the same (?) problem. At least as far as it looked like ... Maybe this is misleading as it rather would be a problem related to the restore procedure ...

Thanks for your hint with creating a new catalog and importing the photos. Worth to give it a try!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, the error message refers to an internal programming failure

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an attempt with a new catalog. I imported a small sample of the photos, but I cannot find the tags. Is there a dedicated way how to import also the tags?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2019 0
Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ludwign78828404  wrote

I made an attempt with a new catalog. I imported a small sample of the photos, but I cannot find the tags. Is there a dedicated way how to import also the tags?

I assume the tags are really written into the files? I mean available to any other software like Explorer/Finder. If you don't write them manually, they are only in the catalog.

Troubleshooting suggestion:

Create a new folder which will become a new "light" catalog folder.

Just paste a copy of your 'catalog.pse17db' database file.

With Elements closed, double click on that file. That should open the organizer with that light catalog.

If the catalog corruption is elswhere than in that main database file, you should get back a catalog copy without face recognition and other automatic features. Tags, captions, albums, stacks, version sets should be recovered.

From your sqlite utility, you can also check the integrity of that database.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg and Michel!

Somehow I was able to rebuild a DB file which works (with SQLite exports and imports, despite some constraint violations etc.). I just lost the tags. This brings me to the question where the PSE organizer writes the tags to?

In the menu of the organizer I know the function to "store metadata in the files" (under "file", translated from my German version ...). I understood that as the way how to write the tags etc. directly right into corresponding jpg files. Obviously that did not happen. Is there a different way, how to store that directl in the file?

Next question would be, if I have a chance to find that information still somewhere in the broken catalog?

You were helping me quite a lot - can you help with that also? Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, just in case, it could help:

These were the tables which made problems:

Metadata_decimal_table.id   #1564966

Tag_to_media_table.media_id   #3638749

Tag_to_media_table.tag_id

Is that the reason why I couldn't restore the tags?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2019 0
Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ludwign78828404  wrote

BTW, just in case, it could help:

These were the tables which made problems:

Metadata_decimal_table.id   #1564966

Tag_to_media_table.media_id   #3638749

Tag_to_media_table.tag_id

Is that the reason why I couldn't restore the tags?

I suppose so, since those are the tables which keep the links between tags and media items. I doubt that can help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2019 0
Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I made an attempt with a new catalog. I imported a small sample of the photos, but I cannot find the tags. Is there a dedicated way how to import also the tags?"

Normally, if you import files that have already been tagged e.g. in another catalog, you will get a dialog that asks you whether you want to import the tags.  If you already have tags in the catalog, you  are given the opportunity to map the tags to the existing hierarchy (using the Advanced dialog).  Unfortunately, People, Places, Events tags become ordinary keyword tags.  However, it is a fairly easy process to create a new person tag and copy the keyword tags to the People tag list.

Snap10_2019.07.02_18h18m36s_002_.png

Hopefully somebody from Adobe staff will contact you about the catalog issue.  If you haven't heard from them within a week, let me know here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2019 0