• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open CR2 raw file in Photoshop elements 14

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open the CR2 files about 4 weeks ago and now I get the folowing message - Photoshop Elements cannot open this file.  This occurs with any new files taken on a Canon EOS 77D

The only thing that has happened in the last 4 weeks I have updated the programs in Adobe Creative Cloud including Camera Raw - not sure if this is related

Any thoughts welcomed

Margaret

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

ACR updates would not affect PSE14. Can you check your plug-in from the Editor menu:

Help >> About Plugin >> Camera Raw

You should see a pop-up with picture and the camera raw version number installed. Let us know which version you have. Press Esc to close the pop-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Margaret the CR2 files from the EOS 77D were first supported in PSE15. Unfortunately they are not compatible with PSE14. You could batch convert to DNG and those files would then work in PSE14. Have you tried them in your Creative Cloud apps or do you not have Photoshop & Lightroom?

Get the latest DNG Converter Mac OS | Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 99jon thnaks for replying

I have had my EOS 77D since June 2018 and up until a couple of weeks ago I was able to work on the CR2 files with no problem.

Do you know if the latest updates from Adobe for Camera Raw would have affected me being able to work on the RAW files.

REgards

Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR updates would not affect PSE14. Can you check your plug-in from the Editor menu:

Help >> About Plugin >> Camera Raw

You should see a pop-up with picture and the camera raw version number installed. Let us know which version you have. Press Esc to close the pop-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 99jon

Thanks for getting back to me

The version is 9.5.0.585

Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 2016

Cheers

Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 77D needs ACR 9.10 which is why 9.5 won’t recognize them. Were the CR2 files you were able to work with from a different canon camera? That would be the explanation. Each new model gets a new CR2 raw file (now Cr3) so DNG is the only way to get backward compatibility with older versions of PSE. Have you thought of upgrading to PSE 2020? You could download and install and try free for 30 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken over 1500-2000 (maybe more) with the 77D since I got it and have used Photoshop Elements for a lot of them.

The problem had only occurred in the last 4 weeks. Not sure if there has been an update to Elements 14 in the last 4 weeks that has caused the problem

Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been no updates for PSE14 and won't ever be. So I can't explain. Your CR2 should never have worked in PSE14. Strange!

I assume you have never uninstalled and re-installed PSE14?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Margaret,

Could you open one of the raw files  from your EOS 77D which you say were converted ok previously.

Please use the menu File >> File Info >> Raw data.

You should see how those files have been converted.

Info-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines