Highlighted

Cannot view ARW files in Elements 12

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get Elements 12 to open ARW files from a Sony RX10iii, although they are listed as supported files. I can view RAW files from a Pentax camera (PEF). I've checked for updates, says I am up to date. Don't know where/how to check for specific plug-ins.

I can view the photos in the Sony PlayMemories program, but would rather continue to use Elements as I am familiar with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cannot view ARW files in Elements 12

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get Elements 12 to open ARW files from a Sony RX10iii, although they are listed as supported files. I can view RAW files from a Pentax camera (PEF). I've checked for updates, says I am up to date. Don't know where/how to check for specific plug-ins.

I can view the photos in the Sony PlayMemories program, but would rather continue to use Elements as I am familiar with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, may have found the problem. I am using Elements 12, I guess the raw plug in supported is only through version 8.5? I need raw plugin 9.5.1, apparently. Do I have to upgrade to elements 14 to get that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon further digging... could I use the DNG converter? Never done that before, maybe it's time to try.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, your old Elements 12 can't support the new RXIII camera with new, unique own raw format.

FAQ: Will Photoshop Elements work with my camera, or Why won't my raw files open?

It requires the ACR 9.5.1 or newer version.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

If you don't want to pay the upgrade to the current PSE 2018, your free option is to download the Adobe DNGconverter mentioned in the faq (latest version 10.0).

That independent software (not a plugin) can batch convert a whole folder of your raw files to the DNG raw format that PSE12 can read and edit. Same quality, but requires an additional (batch) step.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 1
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll give that a try. (I didn't see your answer prior to my last post).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 0
ha55led LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the moral of the tale is if you want to keep viewing picture files simple, don't buy a Sony camera. The old software worked fine but not the latest version

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2019 0