• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon's new CR3 RAW file format

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of the PS products have the ability to read/edit the new CR3 file format from Canon. I recently purchased a Canon M50, which stores the RAW images in their new .CR3 format. I have Photoshop Elements on my pc and it won't recognize this new file format. Please help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

It's a new camera.  Usually Adobe supports a new camera from a well-known manufacturer in its next release following the camera's release although sometimes the timing makes it the next release after that, or the format is different and it takes even longer.

With Elements, since it's not a subscription-based product, the Camera Raw plug-in stops being updated once a new pay-for version of Elements is released in the fall, and even if you have the latest version of Elements, now, the Camera Raw p

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a new camera.  Usually Adobe supports a new camera from a well-known manufacturer in its next release following the camera's release although sometimes the timing makes it the next release after that, or the format is different and it takes even longer.

With Elements, since it's not a subscription-based product, the Camera Raw plug-in stops being updated once a new pay-for version of Elements is released in the fall, and even if you have the latest version of Elements, now, the Camera Raw plug-in usually stops being updated for the current version around this time of year so it might not be updated for the M50 until the next pay-for release in the fall.  If and when Adobe does add support for the M50, if you don't have the current version of Elements or if Adobe has stopped updating the Camera Raw plug-in for the current version, then you will be able to use the Adobe DNG Converter to make DNGs from the CR3 files, a folder at a time, and those DNGs but not the CR3s will open in the older Camera Raw plug-in.

In the mean time, Canon's DPP that came with the camera should work, although it is usually slower than Adobe software.  You can check to see if RawTherapee will work:  RawTherapee Blog  although it'll likely be slow as well.

Depending on the adjustments you can make in DPP or another raw converter that's got support before Adobe does, you might adjust the overall white-balance, and perhaps highlight/shadow toning in that other raw converter, export it as a 16-bit TIF and open that in Elements to continue your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the reply, ssprengel! I will give the DNG converter a try and also RawTherapee and post back with results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried RawTherapee 5.4 from March 20 2018 and it failed to open some sample M50 CR3s I found on dpreview.com so Canon's DPP would be the best bet at the moment, until Adobe or someone updates a raw converter to include support.  I know the file format is different from CR2s, so it may take a bit longer for some to support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the above, but...

I've just butted heads with the .CR3 RAW file issue after upgrading to a Canon EOS 90D.

Tried to update my regularly updated Elements 14 - failed. Abode reckons it's already fully up to date. Tried to sign out and back in to Abode as has been suggested elsewhere but again, failed.

I don't understand why we haven't had the updates automatically anyway.

I tried to get the Abode DNG converter but it wouldn't download from Abode. I ended up going to a 3rd party site where I managed to get it, but again - failed. It didn't see any RAW files at all. Fat lot of good that was.

I tried contacting Abode help chat - failed. Sat for over an hour waiting for someone to come back to me.

I'll try again later but I haven't got much faith. Abode and Canon have certainly turned the joy of getting a new camera in to a  major stress fest. It's all rather dispiriting really.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated, but I suppose this mean I'll ultimately have to get a new copy of the latest Photo Shop/Elements again? Oh joyous am I.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And so it continues...

I found the recommended RAW update file on the Abode site. Downloaded and installed said update as per the instructions. Failed! Again!

My Photo Hop didn't update as promised.

I've now run out of ideas, so now going toe to toe with Canon's DPP suite which is a nightmare in itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@philk93325955 you have posted in an old thread.  Your camera requires ACR 11.4.  Your Elements 14 will never be able to use that plug-in.  You need Elements 2019 or later. 

If you downloaded the latest ACR from the Adobe site, it is for the full version of Photoshop, not for Elements which will only update via the Elements program.  (There is a workaround for this, but it won't work with your version of Elements.)

I don't know why the DNG converter did not work for you.  You haven't given us enough details to figure that out.

Bottom line:  if you are not going to use a converter such as the Adobe DNG converter or your Canon software, you need to buy a new version of Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new version of Camera Raw was released this morning and I think it supports the M50.

Check for updates in Elements, and if you get a new CR plug-in then you're all set.

If there aren't updates for PSE, either yet or never, then find the DNG Converter 10.3 on Adobe's site and run it and convert a folder of CR3 files at a time and those should open in the older PSE.  When converting files, you need to just select the folder name of the folder containing the files and don't click into the folder, itself.

See this about the new updates:

April Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw Releases: New Profiles and More | Adobe Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phenomenal! Thanks so much for letting me know. I will definitely give this a try, although I am not sure what version of the CR plugin I have right now. They do say that M50's CR3 format is supported with this upgrade, so it sounds promising!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PSE 15 and Camera Raw plugin 9.7 on my pc. No updates to either one. DNG converter 10.3 did work though. So, thanks for that tip! I was able to convert some .cr3 files that I needed immediately.

But, what I saw of the results.. I didn't like. There is some loss in image quality though, I think(compared to what I can preview of the .cr3 files via the canon app). So, I read up some on DNG and realize that while it maybe lossless of the RAW data, it may not be able to read all of the proprietary information that Canon encoding in the .cr3 format. So, I will try Canon's DPP tonight to see if there is a difference.

Any thoughts on whether I should put my money down on the newer PSE vs LR(since they'll both come with the updated Camera Raw plugin), if I want to go down that path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any thoughts on whether I should put my money down on the newer PSE vs LR(since they'll both come with the updated Camera Raw plugin), if I want to go down that path?

Suggest you download the trial version of each and take them both for a spin.

You can trial Lightroom for free for up to 7 days. The PSE trial lasts for up to 30 days.

FYI, on a technical note, Lightroom does not actually use the Camera Raw plugin. That's used by Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. The Camera Raw engine is built into the Lightroom source code. So, when you update Lightroom, the extra camera support is included in the software code. Makes no practical difference to the end user - your camera's either supported or it's not. Just something to bear in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I did download the trial version of LR last night and realized what you just said about Camera Raw not being a plug-in. Also, I think I liked the interface better from a usability POV vs PSE since I use it mostly to edit pictures rather than layering like PSE helps with. So I might just buy LR and keep the version of PSE I already have as is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Elements and Camera Raw 11.4 but I cannot import CR3 files generated from my new Canon 90D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too... 

I have upgraded to Elements 20 - and also installed the Camera Raw 11.4 but still no luck in importing directly to Elements.

When the Camera Raw was installing I noticed it was extracting 'camera' files - so checked the 'cameras' installed; there was no 90D for Canon - so wonder if this is the issue. Although it will import them into CC Lightroom (I have a 2 month free trial at the moment).

Current work around - is to import files into Lightroom.. process those that I want to keep - save/export these post processing as JPG and then import into Elements and apply my myriad of tags.

A little more long-winded than usual, but for now will get the job done.

Must admit I think I'd like to import directly to Elements as much more familiar with the process - although I can obviously do what I need to in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for Canon EOS90D:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Photoshop-Elements/FAQ-Will-Photoshop-Elements-work-with-my-camera-or...

Accordint to that faq you need ACR 11.4.

Today, there has been an update for PSE2019 for that ACR version but PSE2020 is still limited to 11.3.

Why? because the ACR 11.4 version has serious bugs.

And if you manually install the ACR version 11.4, it will not be used in PSE2020, only ACR versions installed from the Help >> Update menu. Check the menu Help >> About Plugins to check the active version, and look at the version in the ACR window itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE 2020 shipped with ACR 11.3 and has not yet been updated due to a bug incompatibility. However Adobe released Photoshop 2020 (the full version) today which includes ACR12. I would therefore expect Adobe to make a compatible version of ACR 12 available for PSE 2020 in the near future.

ACR12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has now released ACR 12 for Photoshop Elements 2020. Next time you launch the editor you should get prompted to updtate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My update option not highlighted so cant update 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  

Does Elements now come shipped with ARC version 12 , did you get it sorted out ?

regards 

Paul 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DPP does not run on OS X Macs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DPP4 is running OK on macOS Big Sur here.

canon-dpp4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I had to upgrade my Canon 5D Mark IV to the Canon R6 what has the .CR3 files.

I have just updated my photoshop to 2021 and I still can't open my .CR3 files in a group in Camera Raw.

sometimes I can open two raw files as max, this is crazy as I use photoshop to HDR all my interior photos for my clients.

for most of it, I HDR 3 images at a time but sometimes I do 5 images. now have anyone find a away to open .CR3 file in adobe Camera Raw? 

please let me know I have a massive deadline for these images 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I don't have any problem simulteneously opening 5 Canon R6 raw files in Adobe Camera Raw 13.0 and then Photoshop Elements 2021. The raw files range from 17MB to 22MB in size, so nothing out-of-the-ordinary. The Elements Photo Editor ends up using about 2GB in RAM on my laptop which is perfectly acceptable.

So, here's a few questions for you:

- which version of Adobe Camera Raw are you using?

- what is the rough file size of your Canon R6 raw files?

- what is your system spec (operating system, processor, RAM, hard drive size / available free space)?

- do you get any error messages?

- does Photoshop Elements crash?

- are you running any other applications at the same time?

- have you simply tried restarting your computer and trying again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines