• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PSElements9 on Windows 10.  In the past I have added a caption to a full size thumbnail in Organiser by entering it in the "click here to add caption" box.    When I tried to do this yesterday, no caption box appeared.   How do I get it to show up?

Judith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am using PSElements9 on Windows 10. In the past I have added a caption to a full size thumbnail in Organiser by entering it in the "click here to add caption" box."

None of the previous or ulterior versions have that feature.

To be clear, it seems that what you want is to add some kind of text to an image, not add an information to the properties of the digital image.

Adding text to an image is available by adding a text layer in the editor.

Adding a caption information to the file is a property of the organizer, just like you can add tags to your files.

Please confirm what you want to achieve to get more targeted help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The oldest version of Elements that I currently have on my machine is Elements 14, which certainly does have the "click here to add caption" control in the Organizer.  I have never used this feature but as far as I can recall, it has always been available in full screen view.  Since JLynette says, " In the past I have added a caption to a full size thumbnail in Organiser by entering it in the "click here to add caption" box,"  I assume that it was available in version 9 and the problem has just occurred in the Organizer. 

I have never seen this problem before, so first I must ask whether existing captions are viewable in the media grid in full screen view? If so, are you able to add a caption in the Information panel which will then show up in the media grid?

Snap10_2019.09.28_01h00m03s_002_.png

I know of no controls that can toggle this feature on or off.  So, the only thing I can suggest is to delete the preferences file.  Click here for instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Greg, but I must admit that I am answering only from memory since I am not at home and the oldest version here is the French PSE15.

For me, captions in editor or organizer only refer to the piece of information in the metadata, not at all to a text added over an image. In that case, there may be a paragraph box, but no standard caption field is added in the organizer. There is a mention about printing the caption in the organizer in the advanced option, but the caption must have been added before as an information in the catalog, and there is no formatting option.

So, do you get the above message? From the editor, the organizer? Which command? By the way, your screenshot also shows the 'note' metadata field, which is distinct from the 'caption' field.

I'll have PSE6 to test next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis said:  For me, captions in editor or organizer only refer to the piece of information in the metadata, not at all to a text added over an image. 

Michel, I think you are correct about the caption being added to the metadata.   But, in older versions of the Organizer's slideshow, there was an option to add captions to the slideshow.  I just tried it out on version 14 and the captions were on by default.  The caption appears as text below the image in the slideshow and is also contained in the video that is exported from the slideshow.

The caption is no longer presented in the current Organizer slideshow (Elements 2018 and 2019), but I assume there are other applications and browsers that can pull the metadata from the file for viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg is correct in that the option certainly existed in the past. I don't know when in later versions the caption box was removed but it always served me well and was a quick and easy way of adding captions to travel photos. I used to then create slideshows without having to re-enter captions, though I did have to reduce the font size in the slideshow as the text was far too large and was superimposed over the photo. On the organiser screen it was under the photo.

I have just checked previous albums and find that the captions I had entered have also disappeared which is most frustrating as it took hours to enter them at the time.    Something has obviously gone seriously wrong with that part of the software.

Interestingly, however, I checked on my laptop and there the captions are still in place.

If I reset "preferences" will that affect anything else - I don't think I have ever set any preferences.    I would be grateful for your advice.

PS:  I rarely look at metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Judith, the text box for captions still exists in Elements 2019.  But, as I said, the option to include it in an Organizer slideshow has been removed (since 2018, I believe).  Are you still using Elements 9?  As I understood your original post, the Caption text box has suddenly disappeared from the full screen view in your installation.  Can you answer my earlier questions so that we can try to troubleshoot your problem.  And have you tried deleting the Organizer's preferences file as I suggested?

I was posting while you edited your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JLynette said:

I have just checked previous albums and find that the captions I had entered have also disappeared which is most frustrating as it took hours to enter them at the time. Something has obviously gone seriously wrong with that part of the software.

Interestingly, however, I checked on my laptop and there the captions are still in place.

This suggests that the catalog file may have been corrupted.  But it also may have something to do with the fact that the text box is not showing up in full screen view.  Try repairing the catalog.  (Go to File>Manage Catalogs>Repair).

Do you normally save metadata to the file? (Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+W)

Are you synching your catalog between your desktop and laptop?  If so, what method are you using?

JLynette said:

If I reset "preferences" will that affect anything else - I don't think I have ever set any preferences. I would be grateful for your advice.

PS: I rarely look at metadata.

Resetting preferences will not affect anything else that can't be easily reset in the Preferences dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, I am having all sorts of trouble. I tried resetting my preferences as you suggested but Edit > Preferences> did not give me a Reset option.. I tried to find it under General though I am using a PC not a Mac. It was not there either.   So I tried the File>Manage Catalogue  which you suggested.  Repair was ghosted out so not available to me either - the only options were New and Convert.    Re synching - I don't know how to do that.  I shall try to find a friend who may be able to help me do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am back home, and now I understand that the 'caption box' was used in the slideshow module.

You both are absolutely right. I have tested that the last version still installed in my computer which offers the old slideshow module is PSE12. I did not keep PSE13.

The old module before the present automatic one had both options to make use of the 'caption' field in the metadata and also dialogs to manage text boxes to add to individual frames. Good old time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Judith.  Sorry for taking so long to respond.

I tried resetting my preferences as you suggested but Edit > Preferences> did not give me a Reset option.. I tried to find it under General though I am using a PC not a Mac. It was not there either.

Try this:  Before clicking on the Organizer's icon to open the program, hold down the Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys, then click to open.  A message should pop up asking you whether you want to delete all settings.  Respond OK.  This will reset the preferences.

So I tried the File>Manage Catalogue which you suggested. Repair was ghosted out so not available to me either - the only options were New and Convert.

You need to select your catalog in the box.  The option to Repair should then be available.

Snap10_2019.09.30_21h16m02s_002_.png

Re synching - I don't know how to do that. I shall try to find a friend who may be able to help me do it.

If you don't know what I am talking about, forget about it.  I was just trying to find out the relationship, if any, between your laptop and your desktop.  Some people use both with the same catalog on a network or external drive. It is a practice that can cause problems if you don't know what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done a Repair, even though it said there were no errors. And somewhere I found Preferences, but can't find it again. I did click reset. So I have now tried both the suggestions you made. Do you think I should reload PSE9? I am reluctant to do that as I could lose my photographs. Is there a way to transferring them to my laptop? I don't have Outlook on my desktop and the laptop is only 32 bit. Thank you anyway for being so patient

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think I should reload PSE9? I am reluctant to do that as I could lose my photographs.
That's about the only other remedy I can suggest.  You will not lose your photos.  Those should be stored on your computer in a location that will not be affected by an uninstall/reinstall of PSE 9.  Your catalog will also remain intact. 
Is there a way to transferring them to my laptop? I don't have Outlook on my desktop and the laptop is only 32 bit.
I recommend that you do a backup of your catalog and restore it to the laptop.  (You will need an intermediary location to create the backup, such as an external disk or a network drive.)  This will not only create a backup of your catalog database, but also of the media files (photos) themselves.  You should do this before you uninstall/reinstall PSE 9. The program is a 32 bit program so there is no problem loading it on your laptop.  Don't you already have PSE 9 on your laptop?  And why do you mention the lack of Outlook on your desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chatting to a friend who suggested that the latest version of Windows 10 (1903) is upsetting some programs. Perhaps PSE9 being an older version of Elements is one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Outlook is irrelevant. I do have PSE9 on my laptop and that is working correctly - it is only the desktop which is misbehaving. I have not found any solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines