• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog conversion failed

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the trial version of PE20, because I wanted to upgrade my computer from PE12 to PE20.

After I installed the software, I tried to import my existing PE12 catalog with some 25000 pictures.  The software PE20 took hours to import the last complete backup, including keywords written to files.  I got the message that import was ok (only about a dozen pdf files were mentioned as not being imported) and that conversion would start. 

The conversion  launched successfully, but slowly, after 30 minutes' wait (at 1%) I went to bed.  This morning, I had a "crash report for Elements Organizer" on my screen.

I sent it off to the Adobe helpdesk, as suggested by my computer.  I never got a reply from adobe.

What should I try now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pascale

[Not an issued with a failed install, so moved to program forum]

To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your situation, upgrading from PSE12 to PSE2020, you don't have to 'import' anything. You just have to 'convert' the old catalog to a new one. When you install PSE2020 you are prompted to 'convert' the current old format catalog, which means creating a new one while keeping the old one for PSE12.

If you missed that opportunity, you can still 'convert' the old calog from the catalog manager. So can you describe what you did to 'import' files? Note that 25 000 pictures is a small catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear MichelBParis,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1. with PE12, I have "written keywords to files", "reconnected" and then generated a complete (new) backup, which has 213GB.

2. Then I uninstalled PE12, and launched PE20.

3. I launched the organizer.

4. Here I selected the menu File/Restore catalog, and pointed the software to my last complete backup of my catalog.  The system spent approximately 12 hours "importing" the catalog, as a first step for restoration, I guess.

Then I had a success message, followed by the information that the conversion of the catalog would now start.

And then, as described above, I got some sleep, while the software worked on into the night.  At some point (I do not know when exactly) a "crash report" was generated, which I selected to send off to adobe in the morning, indicating my email address for feedback.

Are my actions clearer now?

My computer has 8GB RAM, and an intel processor i7-4900MQ processor, running on windows 8.1

Best regards,

Pascale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's compare three different processes to 'upgrade' to a more recent version of Elements:

1 - Convervting the catalog. If the only change is to use a newer version of Elements, that's what you should have done. No need to write metadata to tags, no need to backup and restore, no need to uninstall PSE12. If you have not noticed the message to convert your catalog when installing PSE2020, it's not too late. Simply use the catalog manager (file >> manage catalogs) to start the conversion, which should require less than one hour. You can still choose to use either PSE12 or PSE2020. Nothing has been changed in the media files, only the catalogs which should work similarly.

2 - You move to another computer and at the same time, you update to a newer version. Moving catalogs (as a matter of fact, moving catalog and media files to a new drive or computer) requires backup and restore, and automatically suggest the necessary conversion stage after full restore of the media files. Rather than a 'move' it's a copy, since nothing is changed on the original catalog. No need to delete the older version or to to write metadata to files.

3 - You are creating a new catalog in your current version by importing media files already present on your computer. They have been managed by PSE, Lightroom, Bridge or any other managing software. Those softwares enable you to 'write metadata to files', so that importing 'from files and folders' lets you import the media files with the tags, captions and ratings. However, stacks, albums and version sets can't be written to files, so they'll be lost in the process.

First try to convert as described in solution 1, and report if you get error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these suggestions.

I will try solution number 1, opening the catalog manager, and trying to convert my final PE12 catalog.

I will keep you posted on the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to open my latest backup for a restore operation.

The only suggestion I get is "catalog1" from PE12, last modified in "October 2014".

When I try to search for other catalogs, and indicate the correct drive on my computer (not the c:\ drive), I cannot select it, but the system jumps back to the first suggestion of 2014.

My correct backup catalog is called "all" and dated "July 15, 2020".

Any help on this?  But no hurry, I will go offline now for some time.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need a backup to convert a catalog. The dialog you get when you click on the 'convert' button after the menu File >> manage catalogs searches old catalog folders (not backup folders). You should select the correct catalog in the displayed list. If that catalog has a -1 suffix, that means it has already been converted, but it is not changed and you can convert again. There is a checkbox in the bottom to enable showing already converted catalogs. Check the date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Michel,

Thanks for your patient explanations.

I finally managed to have my computer display the catalog I want to be converted (all, dated July 2020).

I launch the conversion, it advances nicely and reaches 100%.

Then another dialogue box opens on top, telling me that optimization of thumbnails will now start, and might take several minutes.  I cannot launch it actively myself, it is launched already automatically.  And that's when my computer freezes completely, I cannot access the "cancel" button, I cannot reach my Task manager any longer, even the clock is frozen on 16h22.

Should I forcibly shut down my computer, or what do you suggest?

I am writing this from my ipad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear MichelBParis,

New day, new challenges.  I have now forcefully shut down my computer, taking away the electricity.

When I try to launch it again, I get the message: reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I try to do "Ctrl+Alt+Delete", and the message is: WINDOWS FAILED TO START. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. ... Status: 0x0000185

Info: An unexpected error has occurred.

Now I am really lost, what can I do?

Thanks for your help.

Pascale

P.S. Still writing from my ipad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please escalade this request for help to someone who has a solution to suggest, I have not heard from you recently.

Thank you.

Pascale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear MichelBParis,

My computer's c:\ drive had to be physically replaced, it had become completely unusable.

I am now running the same computer, repaired, under windows10, and I have succeeded without any problem to install a trial version of PE2020 and PremiereElements2020.  I succeeded in restoring my old catalog, and I have not lost anything.  Even "face analysis" was finished in something like 15 hours.

The software 2020 works very well, it's much quicker than the 2012 version.

I just wanted to let you know the outcome of my problems, and close the current conversation.

Best regards,

Pascale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for the feedback, glad you are ok now and enjoying PSE 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines