• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog Issues with Onedrive

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Photoshop Elements 5.0 on Windows 7.  I recently installed Onedrive, only to have it move all my pictures from C:\Users\xxxx\My Pictures to C:\Users\xxxx\OneDrive\Pictures.  Now, the Organizer crashes on startup (likely because the files have moved).  It doesn't get far enough to allow me to reconnect missing files.  I tried putting the files back in the original location, and restoring a previous copy of the MyCatalog.psa file, but it made no difference.  I can start the Organizer with a new catalog without a crash.

If it would solve the problem, I'd be willing to upgrade, since I'm long overdue for that anyway...

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you knew Microsoft support for Windows 7 is ending in in a few weeks too.  When it rains it pours right?  For now, you could download Photoshop Elements 2019 and drive it around free for 30 days to test out.  Be advised that PSE 2020 only runs on 64 bit Windows 8.1 or above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue but am still on PSE 7.  I have purchased newer versions but got frustrated because they tried to build a new catalog based on the location the photo was taken and many of my photos are old and do not have metadata.  Windows 10 will not store a copy of my photos on my c: drive because it says I do not have enough disk space.  So it is only storing them on OneDrive.  Therefore my catalog can't find them. How do I fix the catalog?  Would installling PSE 2020 fix this? I would appreciate any assistance.  I have been building this catalog for 20 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Karl Johnson 

I am having the same issue but am still on PSE 7. I have purchased newer versions but got frustrated because they tried to build a new catalog based on the location the photo was taken and many of my photos are old and do not have metadata.

Which newer version of Elements did by buy and are they still installed on your computer? There is no reason why you can't 'convert' your PSE7 catalog to the newer format and the lack of metadata or the age of your photos does not prevent you to do the conversion or alternatively, to import your photo files into a new catalog.

Windows 10 will not store a copy of my photos on my c: drive because it says I do not have enough disk space. So it is only storing them on OneDrive. Therefore my catalog can't find them.

That is the crucial issue: you don't have enough space on your C : drive.

Using OneDrive is not the solution to spare disk space. It offers space on the 'Cloud', but that work by creating a special folder on your C : drive and keeping it in sync with the files in the Cloud. And the organizer can't access the Cloud directly to create links to your photo in the catalog database.

So, you'll have first to get disk space which is generally easy if you can use an external USB drive.

How do I fix the catalog? Would installling PSE 2020 fix this? I would appreciate any assistance. I have been building this catalog for 20 years.

Other question: do you create organizer backups?  Generally you do that on external USB drive, but perhaps you do that on DVDs?

We can probably help you if you can get such a USB drive; we'll need more info on your computer. Can you have a look at the menu Help >> System Info of the organizer to copy and paste the info in your answer here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you quick responce.  Hopfully I have answered your questions below.  

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0.0.0
Core Version: 7.0 (20080916.r.508356)
Language Version: 7.0 (20080916.r.508356)

Current Catalog:
Catalog Name: My Catalog
Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Catalogs\My Catalog\
Catalog Size: 107.7MB
Catalog Cache Size: 673.6MB

System:
Operating System Name: Vista
Operating System Version: 6.2
System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:14 Stepping:12 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP
Built-in Memory: 2GB
Free Memory: 2GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:
Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0
Apple QuickTime Version: Not installed
Adobe Reader Version: Not installed
Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

I purchased Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements version 12 but do not have it installed currently on this computer.  I have 429 Gig of free space on my laptop and my pictures require 300 Gig but for some reason Windows 10 will not let me store them on my C: Drive.  I may try manually copying them.

I do have an external USB Hardrive MyBook with plenty of disk space.  I have not backed up my catalog recently so I will do a fresh backup today.  Do you recommend I move my photo's to that drive?  If so how do I sync the catalog?  It is pointing to \users\Karl_\Picutres.  Also I would need to sync it with OneDrive to have my photos backed up.  I do not mind purchasing the latest version of Elements and Premiere Elements but I would prefer to getting working with my current version first.  Thank you for your help.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to create a new backup because the photo are missing and need to be reconnected.  But it does appear I have 2 backups of the Catalog on MyBook d: drive.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Karl Johnson 

There are things I don't understand from your system info.

You say you are on Win 10, the info says 'Vista' ?

The info says

Built-in Memory: 2GB
Free Memory: 2GB

2 GB was already too short for minimal requirements for PSE7, and there can't b 2GB free?

Your catalog size means it's a small catalog.

So, I suggest also using the menu Help >> System Info from the editor and to copy and paste here the first 20 lines as you have done.

I asked about backups because that's what you could use to move your current catalog and media file tree to another (internal or external) drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to come up with a workaround for my issue, possibly a permanent solution. When I got a new laptop in April I decided to go with Office 365 and found myself almost forced to use OneDrive.  It was new to me and I took the default actions.  It changed the path for my documents and photos from c:\User|Karl_\Pictures to c:\User|Karl_\OneDrive\Pictures.  So the files were on my c: drive but all under OneDrive.  That caused my Catalog not to work.  I moved the Pictures from the OneDrive directory to c:\User|Karl_\Pictures where they had always been.  Now my Catalog is working.  I then did a fresh Catalog backup through the Organizer.

I think the reason my System Info is not correct is because of the way I have been backing up my Catalog. Instead of doing it the correct way by running the Backup out of the Organizer I have been copying the Catalog folder from Program Data. Then manually copying it to my new PC.  That is the only explanation I have for why that data is so old. I ran the backup the correct way today and it is 40 Gig.  It looks like it contains Thumbnails with meta data and the Catalog file. I will continue to back it up this way. Is there a way I can correct the System Info?  It was the same when I opened it from Full Edit Mode.

I have plenty of disk space now that I have located where my pictures were.  

I need to spend some time understanding OneDrive and getting it configured correctly so it will backup My Documents, Pictures, Program Data, etc.  I also need to spend some time to understanding how the PSE Backups and Restores work better.

Thank you for your assistance.  If you have any advice for me I am always open to suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was new to me and I took the default actions.  It changed the path for my documents and photos from c:\User|Karl_\Pictures to c:\User|Karl_\OneDrive\Pictures.  So the files were on my c: drive but all under OneDrive.  That caused my Catalog not to work.  I moved the Pictures from the OneDrive directory to c:\User|Karl_\Pictures where they had always been.  Now my Catalog is working.

Yes, that was the reason for the missing files, and your move to the previous state did restore the links in the catalog. The difference between the original 'Pictures' folder and the one in OneDrive is that the latter is a special kind of folder because its contents are permanently 'synced' with its counterpart in the Cloud. The huge advantages are the backup function  and the ability to share the contents from other computers, tablets or smartphones. The drawback is that you can't spare the size of the Pictures folder on your physical disk. One possibility would be to 'move' the OneDrive Pictures folder to another internal drive than the C : master drive; that's something I have not yet done, but I'll probably do it later.

Is there a way I can correct the System Info?  It was the same when I opened it from Full Edit Mode.

Sorrry, I don't understand?

I need to spend some time understanding OneDrive and getting it configured correctly so it will backup My Documents, Pictures, Program Data, etc.

My suggestion: if you want your catalog folder to be backed up in the OneDrive, periodically do a copy and paste of the whole catalog folder somewhere in the OneDrive folder. The original catalog folder location is to be found in the menu Help >> system info; either in the default ProgramData system folder or elsewhere if you have moved it manually in 'custom' location where you want. Moving the catalog folder has to be done from the Windows Explorer. Activating this catalog when the organizer opens can be done by double clicking the catalog.pseXXdb file in the catalog folder. For instance, you can move it to another drive than C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I would like to be able to use OneDrive to back up my pictures.  How can I move my pictures to c:/users/karl_/onedrive/pictures?  Can I do it by restoring my catalog?  I do not want to move my catalog just move the pictures and update the catalog with the new folder structure.  I have enough space on my c: drive to store one copy of the images (300 gig).  But not 2 copies.  Would this process move them to the new folder or copy them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just try it on a test subfolder:

In the left folders/albums panel, set your choice to folders and tree view (not list view).

Select a subfolder you want to move and drag and drop it into your OneDrive/Pictures.

You can verify that  Onedrive is syncing that subfolder to the Cloud and that the move does not take more drive space than before.

Then you can move your other folder tree(s) like this. Just be patient for the Explorer and OneDrive to do the job. Your catalog will be updated for the new OneDrive master folder.

It's a good idea to create an Organizer backup of your catalog, but you won't need it for the move. Another kind of backup of your C drive would also offer a good protection.

After a successful move, I would create a new backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I am going to try this?  How does the Catalog get updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moving files, folders or folder trees from the organizers:

1 - issues a command for the explorer functions to to the job

2 - replaces the previous location by the new one in the catalog.

Precisely, the location of a file on your computer is a double indication of:

- the drive identification (not only the letter drive, but also the internal serial number of the drive known by Windows

- and the full path of the folder structure.

That's what is updated in the database (catalog.pseXXdb file) within the catalog folder.

This is true for all 'moves' between different folders or drives, not only for moves between the normal Pictures folder and the one in the specific OneDrive/Pictures folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines