• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Background color on custom collage

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020.  New, don't have time to do any lessons, as this is a rush job for a client gift. Made a custom collage, I finally arranged all of my photos leaving even spaces around each, which wasn't easy.  I also have text across the top.  I cannot get the background color to change.  It is white.  I want the page to be black (background).  Please walk me though this, I feel like I've tried everything.  The paint bucket fills in, but ruins the photos that have anything white on the edges.  What I see on the screen is white and grey checkerboard.  I don't know anything about layers either 😞  HELP!  Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Go into Advanced mode and click the layers button at the bottom.

Double-click on the background layer to unlock.

Select the white layer thumbnail (highlighted in blue) and set the foreground color to black at the bottom of the tools on the left

Then click with the paint bucket tool anywhere on the white borders – see image below

To enlarge, click once, then right-click and choose open in new tab. Go to the tab to view full size.

BlackCollage.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into Advanced mode and click the layers button at the bottom.

Double-click on the background layer to unlock.

Select the white layer thumbnail (highlighted in blue) and set the foreground color to black at the bottom of the tools on the left

Then click with the paint bucket tool anywhere on the white borders – see image below

To enlarge, click once, then right-click and choose open in new tab. Go to the tab to view full size.

BlackCollage.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  The only thing is, I had to mess around with the top right drop down "blending mode".  The "Normal" setting you show, turned my whole page black, my setting was on "Color Burn" and you could only see bright colors of the photos coming thru.  There are a couple that seem to work, but not sure whats the difference or best "Color dodge, screen, lighten, difference, or exclusion".  This is to be professionally printed and framed.  I love your opinion of you have time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I usually use normal for a collage but you can experiment with blend modes to find something you like. I would suggest doing a test print if possible as images can often look darker on paper compared with a pc monitor unless calibrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines