• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change in X Y resolution values after photo modification in PS Elements Editor

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PS Elements 13 editor to modify some Canon DSLR raw images.  I have noticed that if I use FILTER- Correct Camera Distortion the meta data X and Y resolution values change from about 800 to about 6,500. The file sizes are similar for the modified and unmodified images.  Can someone please tell me me why the X and Y resolution values are so high on the modified images? 

N.B. I found that some software (e.g. old version of Quark Xpress 4) appear to have a problem with the modified files - the modified files in tiff format preview as small low res images whereas the unmodified preview as large high res images. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

In the photoshop elements 13 editor are you opening the actual canon raw files or ones saved in some other file format?

If they are the actual canon raw files, what canon camera are they from?

After you open the file and before camera distortion, go to Image>Resize>Image Size and see what pixel dimensions it says there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operating system Apple Mac El Capitan

The camera stores both jpeg and raw but I an opening the raw files in PSE editor

The camera is a Canon 60D

Pixel Dimensions 51.3M

width 5184 pixels

height 3456 pixels

Document size

width 17.28 inches

height 11.52 inches

resolution 3000 pixels/inch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what application does the meta data X and Y resolution values say 800?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 800 figure from the PSE organiser meta data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iand27028624  wrote

Pixel Dimensions 51.3M

width 5184 pixels

height 3456 pixels

Document size

width 17.28 inches

height 11.52 inches

resolution 3000 pixels/inch

Resolution 3000 pixels/inch instead of the expected 300?

This looks like an involuntary change of the resolution value with the 'resample' option checked.

Open the raw file again, open in the editor and check the values like those you have just shown.

Apply the filter and and check the same values. Never check the resample box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies I made a typing error - the value should have been 300 not 3000.   This figure relates to the unmodified file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Michel,  Thank you for your comment regarding involuntary change of the resolution value.  This set me on the right track.  I went back to work with an unmodified photo and I realised I had been not only been applying the lens distortion filter I had also cropped the photos after this operation and it turned out that the cropping was causing the problem.

I applied the crop tool around the outer edge of an unmodified photo and  I found that the number of pixels stayed the same but the physical size changed from 17.28x11.52 inches to 0.787x0.525 inches.   The pixel density scaled by the same amount from 300 pixels/inch to 6583 pixels/inch.  Resizing the  photo back to the original physical size solved the problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines