• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing metadata tags on Elements 2020

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings.  I recently loaded Elements 2020 on my Windows 10 computer.  I previously had Elements 13.  I have done a lot of reorganizing of my photo tags including deleting many keyword tags I do not want anymore.  I always save my meta data to the photos, but when I look at the pictures on my C: drive (which is where I import the pictures into Elements) I still see all the old, unwanted tags and none of my new tags.  In Elements Organizer it looks like the intented tags are the only ones connected to the picture.  How do I 1) perminately delete tags I do not want from the metadata on the photos and 2)save my new tags to the pictures?  I have spent hours upon hours working on this any really would appreciate help.  Thanks.  

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The explanation:

When you 'write metadata to files', new tags are written to the exif section of the files. Old tags are kept. If you delete or edit tags in the catalog, nothing is deleted in the files.

You can either:

- edit individually the metadata section of the file in the Info panel on the right

- or use the possibility of this panel to delete all tags for selected files at the same time, then rewrite them from the current situation on the catalog.

I'll come back later with more details if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am jumping in because I have a related question.  When I write metadata to files, what exactly is achieved?  Is the metadata supposed to be written to my external source files?  If so, then it's not happening.  My original source files do not show any metadata when I view them.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically, writing metadata means  storing keywords and captions in the metadata header of the media file. What happens if you do a test to 'write metadata to files' after having entered new keywords and captions? How do you look for the change in the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First of all, I verfied that I had tags assinged in the PSE2020 catalog for the pics.

In the past, I ran "save metadat to file' it seemed to work.  I would go the orginal oiuc on my mac's hard drive, open the info view, see the tags.  This morning, I could not see the tags for the pics I had previosuly viewed.

I also could not see the tags for the pics I ran yesterday.

Today, I ran the metada option and a messaged popped immediqtely stating the data was already saved (however, as I write this, I tried again and it is now performing as expected.  However, even tho I got a successful message, I still cannot see the tags.

I ran a test on a single imported file, but still no tags.

It's weird that I saw them the otehr daym, but now I don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines