• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone Stamp Tool not working (Photoshop Elements 2020 on Mac)

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Clone Stamp Tool is not working. Everytime I select something (Yes, the cursor changes into a crosshair) and I want to use the tool, I get this message: 

"Could not use the clone stamp tool because the area to clone has not been defined (option-click to define a source point)."

I tried resetting the tool and to sample all layers. What else can I do to get this useful tool working again?

TOPICS
Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset preferences to default. That may fix it. Go to Edit>Preferences>General and reset on nexr launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hatstead,

Thanks for your help, but resetting the prefs did not work. I still get the same message "Could not use the clone stamp tool because the area to clone has not been defined (option-click to define a source point)." The search continues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this post from yesterday helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have already activated "sample all layers" so it would seem unlikely that this is the issue.

Two other suggestions:

1. Go to Edit>Preferences>Display&Cursors, and check "standard" for the cursor.

2. When engaging the clone stamp tool, use the bracket keys next to the letter P on the keyboard to increase the size of the cursor to fetch more source pixels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hatstead,

Thanks again for directing me towards a possible solution, but this does not work either. I still get the message "Could not use the clone stamp tool because the area to clone has not been defined (option-click to define a source point)." Hope someone has the golden trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of macOS are you using and mac model and year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Mac OS X Catalina Version 10.15.4 on an iMac 27-inch Late 2013, 3,5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB and a 3 TB Fusion Drive. I just posted it here, but I had this problem on Photoshop Elements 14 as well, so it exists for some years now. Buying the new Photoshop 2020 I thought I ask around on the Adobe forum to see if there would be a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Magic Mouse or a Magic Trackpad?

An apple keyboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use a Magic Mouse and a full Apple keyboard, wired. No Magic Trackpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Apple>System Preferences>Keyboard you have the Modifier Keys set as Default like below?

MOK.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, modifier keys are set as default. I have the fn key in there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines