• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Depth

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that Photoshop Elements 2020 has a 16-bit color depth vs. previous versions having 8-bit. Can anyone verify that this change has been made?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can verify for yourself by downloading a free trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been no change.

Elements has been supporting 16-bits for most general edits (enhancements, filters) and in the ACR (Camera Raw) module. That's where 16-bits depth is meaningful to avoid posterization.

However, layers and detail (local) enhancements only support 8-bits.

To be fair, even if 16-bits depth is available in the pixel editor, after editing in ACR (including jpegs which are 8-bits) I practically never use it. If you use layers for compositing, not for extreme blending modes, 16-bits is of no help; local enhancements like dust removal don't need 16-bits.

So if you want to use 16-bits for all your work to feel safe even if you can't see the difference, consider the full Photoshop or Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I have experienced since Photoshop Elements 2020 deployed with my 2018 version. I can no longer do edits with the raw file, like cloning, etc.  It says I must convert the depth to 8-bit.  I can save it as a jpg and then make those edits but it's frustrating when I didn't have to do these actions before. 

Anyone else experiencing this issue?  If so, what is the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, there has been no change since many versions.

When you edit in the raw converter, you have the choice to open either in 0 or 16 bits (dropdown menu in the middle of the bottom bar).  Set it to 8-bits and you won't have to convert each time you edit a file in the editor. That choice is 'sticky'.

And 8-bits does not only mean jpeg, it's also available for non compressed and layered formats like .psd or .tiff.

All the edits you have made in  the ACR module have already taken advantage of the internal 16-bits depth and wide range color mode to avoid risks of posterization. 8-bits is perfectly ok for using layers and local editing tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I see in your response what changed.  I did not know there was an option to open in a certain "Bit".  I will look for that the next time I upload raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I see in your response what changed.  I did not know there was an option to open in a certain "Bit".  I will look for that the next time I upload raw files.

You can test it quickly by opening one of your old raw files in the ACR module, setting the menu to 8-bits depth and clicking on the 'open' button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the option and it worked.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines