• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conversion failure - converting PSE 18 catalog to PSE 2021

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - the conversion of my PS 15 catalog to PS 2021 is failing. 

I have ~2000 catalogued images (tagged etc) so I need to be able to convert the old catalog.

The files copy, the conversion reaches 100%, the optimization starts and then I get a 'Conversion failed' error.

I have repaired and optimized the catalog in PS 15 but this has not helped.

I checked the Adobe help web pages for help but none of the info. there is helping.

Thank for any assistance you can offer.

I an using Windows 10.

Tim

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Since the message is 'Conversion failed', I wanted to try to skip the conversion phase of the converting process.

So, my first test with a big PSE15 catalog was to rename the 'thumb.5.cache'. No luck, I got the same message.

Then I converted a copy of the catalog after deleting the 'thumb.5.cache' file in the catalog folder.

Result: ok !!!

Note that the conversion is much faster, but obviously, you have to wait that the converted catalog rebuilds its cache.

So, create a renamed copy of your cata

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reconnecting or deleting any missing files.  Go to Find>All Missing Files and thumbnails of any missing files should show up.  Select a file and look in the Info panel to determine where the Organizer expects to find the missing file(s).  You can then determine whether you may have moved or deleted the file outside of the Organizer (which is never a good practice).  Once you have removed or reconnected all missing files, try the catalog conversion again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg_S - tried that but it did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the message is 'Conversion failed', I wanted to try to skip the conversion phase of the converting process.

So, my first test with a big PSE15 catalog was to rename the 'thumb.5.cache'. No luck, I got the same message.

Then I converted a copy of the catalog after deleting the 'thumb.5.cache' file in the catalog folder.

Result: ok !!!

Note that the conversion is much faster, but obviously, you have to wait that the converted catalog rebuilds its cache.

So, create a renamed copy of your catalog PSE15, delete the thumbnail cache and try the conversion again. You may have to tick the checkbox to show already converted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichaelBParis - you are a Star !! 

That resolved the problem. 

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michael!

I am happy to say this worked perfectly for my Catalog 'A'/

However, when I tried it with Catalog 'B' Organizer 2021 does not recognize the catalog at the convert catalog panel:  Below is the Convert Catalog Panel after I clicked Find More Catalogs and provded the path in the second image below.  No catalog is listed!

mdillon2218_1-1614654232098.png

Below is the path and contents of the folder where Catalog 'B' is located

mdillon2218_0-1614654114173.png

Will you help please?

Thanks, Mike D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... also, checking the box for 'Show Previously Converted..." does not help.

Thanks In Advance - Mike D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mdillon2218 

Your screenshot of the catalog folder shows that the main database has an added suffix '.tmp', which explains why the catalog folder is not recognized. I suppose the creation of a temporary .tmp copy is normal in the conversion process, but I have no idea why the real catalog.pse16db files has disappeared.

There is nothing I can see which could help without the real file and on the other hand, there is no risk to rename the file without the .tmp suffix and to try again. You might get a message to repair, but with a bit of luck, that could work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael, 

It turns out that I had File Explorer configured to not show file extensions.  New screen capture is below - the file extension is now shown.

Also, I deleted the .tmp file and tried to convert - same result.

Will you take another shot at this?

Thanks, Mike D.

mdillon2218_0-1614787851024.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch!  I just double clicked on MJD catalog.pse16db.

Organizer 2018 launched, then this:

mdillon2218_0-1614788592858.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch!  I just double clicked on MJD catalog.pse16db.

Organizer 2018 launched, then this:

mdillon2218_0-1614788592858.png

By @mdillon2218

Important:

The name of the catalog is the name of the catalog folder.

The (main) database is always called 'catalog.pse16db', you can't rename it. If you rename it with 'MJD ' it won't be recognized. You do need to rename the folder name (or the catalog name in the catalog manager;  same effect), but you can't rename the database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@MichelBParis  - Thank you so, so much.

I am very pleased to report that I have both my catalogs in Organizer 2021.  Your support was invaluable.

I update Organizer every 2 years (3 years in this case) just so I maintain compatibility, and as long as Adobe keeps a support staff like you around, I'll continue to update.

This is great!  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I tried that but no improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines