• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting .psd image to .jpg image reduces resolution for 8" x 10" print

Participant ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday with the PSE 2019 editor (W10),  I created a  collage with 16 photos and some text layers on a 8" x 10" new layer.  I was satisfied with the results when  finished and viewed on my screen so I decided to convert the .psd file to a .jpg image and have it printed on a 8" x 10" plaque. When I sent the file to a commercial printer, I was told the small .jpg would not have info for printing a sharp resolution photo. I tried to convert the .psd to other file formats but all file sizes were very small.

My question is how to convert a .psd file to a .jpg file with enough resolution to print a 8 x 10 photo?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Go to File>New>Blank file.

In the dialog that opens, enter W&H, and for resolution enter 300px/in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

I started this project in the editor by opening a new file (white canvas) and setting the size as 8" x 10". I then created a new layer as I dragged each photo separately from the photo bin onto the canvas. I probably had about 35 layers before I was finished with 16 photos and text layers. Where did I go wrong?

By @meg576

Thanks for your screenshots. They confirmed my suspicions. The blank canvas you have used was much too small, smaller than the required pixel dimensions for a sharp 8 x 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't specify the only meaningful value for the size and resolution of your project.

Only pixel values can tell you if your file has enough resolution for your project.

A 8 x 10 inches at 300 ppi (pixels per inch) gives a very good resolution, that is 2400 x 3000 pixels.

If you start with a 'canvas' or 'background' on which you add your collage elements including text layers, everything you add will be resampled according to the canvas size. Even if each of your 16 photos have more pixels than the canvas, they will be reduced in pixel size to fit in the canvas. So it appears that you have started with too little a canvas.

Can you provide a screenshot of your layers palette? I you have only 'smart layers' created from dragging images from the photo bin to the canvas and text layers, it's still possible to resize the canvas and you'll get the correct size and resolution for a sharp print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started this project in the editor by opening a new file (white canvas) and setting the size as 8" x 10". I then created a new layer as I dragged each photo separately from the photo bin onto the canvas. I probably had about 35 layers before I was finished with 16 photos and text layers. Where did I go wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to File>New>Blank file.

In the dialog that opens, enter W&H, and for resolution enter 300px/in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply hatstead.

I remember opening a new blank file and adjusting the size to 8" x 10" but I did not make any changes to the pixels so maybe that's where I went wrong. My question now is can I correct the pixels on the new blank file on the original project or must I redo the whole project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the File Data panel shows a resolution of 96 pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @meg576

Thanks for your screenshots. They confirmed my suspicions. The blank canvas you have used was much too small, smaller than the required pixel dimensions for a sharp 8 x 10. It does not matter if you add dozens of new layers from big files. You have to specify a canvas with the required size in inches AND necessarily with the resolution in ppi (pixels per inches), typically 300 ppi, even if 240 should be ok.

As I suspected, you have dragged the image components from the photobin to the canvas. This explains you have got 'smart' layers which point to their original images and don't lose quality if you enlarge your canvas. 

In your case, you only have to use the menu "Image >> image size" and enter the values suggested by hatstead for a correct image size to start with.

You can either specify the pixels: 3000 x 2400 for instance, or the size in inches 10 x 8 PLUS the resolution.

That's equivalent. You'll get a correct psd which you can save as jpeg with the same size in pixels.

The key idea is to always think in terms of pixels. Size in inches is only meaningful at the time of printing.

The second lesson is that if you have only smart layers and text layers, they can keep all their quality if you "upsize" the image file in pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions, MichelB & Hatstead. I was able to resize the .psd file with a resolution od 300 pixels and after converting the .psd to a  .jpg image, the jpg is now 3 MB and my project was accepted for printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines