• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy photo to desktop from Elements 2018 but lose photo when deleted from desktop?

Participant ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My normal procedure is to open Photoshop Elements 2018 after putting my SD card in and then copy from the sd card to Elements where I view them and work on them. Sometimes, I find one that I want to send to someone so I will copy it and then put it in a file on my desktop. I can then go to that file and email it or whatever. What I am finding is that when I don't need the file anymore on my desktop and delete it----then I go back into Elements and the picture shows but when I click on it, it says searching for the file and can never seem to find it. What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

OK, I am gaining on my understanding but still wonder why they let me make a copy of the picture in the first place as you really aren't making a copy---you are moving the file when I put it on my desktop.

I'm really not sure what you mean here.  My confusion about your question relates to your use of the term "desktop."   There is actually a folder location on your computer that is called "desktop."  Or, you may be referring to the desktop generically as any storage location on your com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files on your SD card are the real deal; those are your actual image files.  The graphical representations of them, that you see in Organizer, are mere links to them.  So when you clicked on your image in Organizer, Organizer expected to find the original on your SD card, where it was before, but couldn't because your SD card was maybe back inside your camera?

The solution is to store your image files somewhere on your HD, or other permanent location, so Organizer will know where to find them every single time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soo, you would suggest copying from my SD cards into or onto the computer in a photo file of some sort and then download from there rather than directly from the SD card? If I do this, and then copy an individual file after I manipulate it in Photoshop Elements and save it to my desktop and then delete it from the desktop, will I then not lose the manipulated photo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jmillsp said:

What I am finding is that when I don't need the file anymore on my desktop and delete it----then I go back into Elements and the picture shows but when I click on it, it says searching for the file and can never seem to find it.

What Phinny says about files stored on a memory card that has been removed from your card reader also applies to photos stored on your desktop that have been deleted outside of the Organizer.  The Organizer has no idea what you have done with the files outside of the program.  That is why you should only conduct file operations, such as move, delete and rename, within the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So confusing to me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jmillsp said:

Soo, you would suggest copying from my SD cards into or onto the computer in a photo file of some sort and then download from there rather than directly from the SD card?

No, that is not what I would suggest.  You should use the Adobe Photo Downloader to import files from your camera to the Organizer, either via a USB cable or via a card reader.

jmillsp said:

If I do this, and then copy an individual file after I manipulate it in Photoshop Elements and save it to my desktop and then delete it from the desktop, will I then not lose the manipulated photo?

Yes, if you delete a file from your desktop, it will go missing in the Organizer.   When you import files into the Organizer, it does not create a copy of the file stored on your computer storage drive.  The Organizer simply maintains a database of your desktop files and points to them so that they can be displayed in the program.  If you delete a file from your desktop, the Organizer will have nothing to point to.  It will still display a small thumbnail of your file but you will not be able to do anything with that thumbnail.  (It creates those thumbnails, so that they can display faster or more efficiently than the originals.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the best way to copy a picture from PSE and share it in an email or Facebook so I don't end up losing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg_S. said:

"You should use the Adobe Photo Downloader to import files from your camera to the Organizer"

What is this Adobe Photo Downloader and how do I activate it in PSE 2020 to import files into the Organizer?

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jmillsp said:

So what is the best way to copy a picture from PSE and share it in an email or Facebook so I don't end up losing it?

There's no need for you to copy anything.  When you attach a photo to an email, the original stays where it is and the email program makes a copy to send.  When you upload a photo to Facebook, a copy is transmitted to display online.  The original files stored on your computer are unaffected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to attach by going to Share in the upper right corner---comes up telling me that my credentials are invalid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of your photos as actual printed photos.

Take those printed photos and put them in a real, physical photo album.

The photo album is the equivalent of the Organizer.  Take a printed photo out of the physical album and it no longer appears in the physical photo album.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except, as I understand it, they really are NOT in the Organizer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Organiser is a list of the photos you have. Like a catalog listing what books you own; if you throw one book away, the catalog still lists it but you won’t be able to find that book. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.  Same as the order kiosk at McDonalds having no actual food in it.  Those burger and apple pie pix are only there for you to select from.  The actual food is over at the counter based on your selection(s). 

And Organizer is for selecting images that are inside your images folder, which can be anywhere you decide to keep it, by any name you like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am gaining on my understanding but still wonder why they let me make a copy of the picture in the first place as you really aren't making a copy---you are moving the file when I put it on my desktop. 

Now, I tried to use the share command and set up the email but it won't let me set up my email so I have now figured out how to go to export in "File" and export as new file, then share file by signing into my email acct.. in browser and finding where I exported the file to. I made up a file and named it "copyforemail" under Pictures category. Now, my question is, if I delete that picture that is in the copyforemail file, am I going to completely lose that picture or is it still stored outside of the PSE program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really not sure what you mean here.  My confusion about your question relates to your use of the term "desktop."   There is actually a folder location on your computer that is called "desktop."  Or, you may be referring to the desktop generically as any storage location on your computer.  So, I'm not sure what you mean when you say you really aren't making a copy---you are moving the file when I put it on my desktop.

So, let me see if I can clear up some confusion.  When you copy a file on your computer - any kind of file - you will have two files stored on your computer.  You cannot have two files with the same name stored in a single folder, so one of the files has to be renamed, e.g. my file1 and my file2.  It is possible to copy a file from one folder to another folder and keep the same name.  So, you can have a file stored e.g. as My Folder\My File 1.doc and also as Second Folder\My File 1.doc.  It is also possible to move a file from one folder to another.  If you move instead of copy a file, you will only have one file on your computer.

Files can be moved, copied or deleted in Windows File Explorer.  But you can also use the Organizer to perform these tasks.  Are you asking why there is a "copy" command in the Organizer's photo context menu (but no paste)?

Now, I tried to use the share command and set up the email but it won't let me set up my email so I have now figured out how to go to export in "File" and export as new file, then share file by signing into my email acct.. in browser and finding where I exported the file to. I made up a file and named it "copyforemail" under Pictures category. Now, my question is, if I delete that picture that is in the copyforemail file, am I going to completely lose that picture or is it still stored outside of the PSE program?

When you Export as new file from the Organizer's File menu, you are making a copy of the file.  The original will remain in its original location and the copy will be stored wherever you want on your computer.  The original will remain in the Organizer's database (or list of photos) and may continue to be viewed in the grid.  The exported file will be a copy of the original.  The copy will not appear in the Organizer unless you import it.  And you can only import it if you give the copy a new name because in general the Organizer will not import duplicate copies of the same file.  If you delete the exported copy (in your case, the copyforemail file), using Windows File Explorer, that copy will no longer exist on your computer.  But the original file will remain and will still be viewable in the Organizer.

I hope I have not confused you even further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not confused at all. Well thought out and thank you! I think I should now be good to go----for awhile! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Greg S. for explaining that you must export in order to get a copy of a photo, that the original is still in Organizer.

This has been a major obstacle to me too.

jmilsp asked this:

"My normal procedure is to open Photoshop Elements 2018 after putting my SD card in and then copy from the sd card to Elements where I view them and work on them. Sometimes, I find one that I want to send to someone so I will copy it and then put it in a file on my desktop. I can then go to that file and email it or whatever. What I am finding is that when I don't need the file anymore on my desktop and delete it----then I go back into Elements and the picture shows but when I click on it, it says searching for the file and can never seem to find it. What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines