• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop oval and remove white background

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to crop an oval section of a photo and remove the background (making it transparent) using PSE 13. The step-by-step instructions indicate the use of a "trim" tool. I see no such tool in my PSE editor. When I try to proceed without the steps that refer to the trim tool my image shows a checkerboard pattern on the part of the image that I want removed but the resultant saved PNG image shows the checkerboard part as white instead of transparent. Thanks in advance for the help.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a Photoshop tutorial or a Photoshop Elements tutorial?

You posted in the Photoshop forum, so I'm moving this to the Photoshop Elements forum.

Trim is a feature of Photoshop, but there is a free Trim Action for Photoshop Elements here:

https://www.digitalphotographyformoms.com/photoshop-elements-free-action-trim/

NOTE: I have not used this free action from the website listed, so I can't speak as to its reliability or its compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image have Rectangle canvas you can mask an image to be oval have transparent invisible canvas area.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain the process that you refer to above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag out the oval selection you want then click the add layer mask button.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that. Still shows white box as background. I want the backgoround to be TRANSPARENT..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you save a PNG Jpeg does not support transparency. It will fill the transparency.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my post. I repeatedly said that I saved it as PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you did not mask the image layer or you has lower layers that  show in the transparent ares. You should see a checkerboard like my screen Capture. Select and click what could be simpler.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the checkerboard area the same as your example. The resulting PNG still shows white rectangular background. I have given up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure its in the image file that what you see its not the application displaying it on a white background?  I do have a problem saving PNG it seen to take PS forever to write out a compress png. If I save the image 16Bit  color it is 30MB can not be posted here. If  I save 8Bit color its 7MB however its an 8MP image to begin with not a web size image.

LO2G5037-8.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ronald, try this.

1. Open the picture file, duplicate the background layer, work on Background copy layer. Shut off visibility of the Background layer.

2. Activate the Elliptical marquee tool. On the tool's option bar be sure that the feather value is set to 0 (zero). Drag out an ellipse to embrace what you wish to retain in the photo. 

3. Go to Select menu>inverse and hit delete on the keyboard

4. Press CTRL+D to get rid of the "marching ants" selection outline.

5. Save in file format which supports transparency. JPEG does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot including your layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines