• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop tool crashes Photoshop Elements 13

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay Adobe. They refuse to support this software so asking here is my only choice. Unfortunately this has been asked before and never answered.

I have been using Photoshop Elements 13 (on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) for a long time with no problems. Suddenly, selecting the crop tool immediately crashes the program. Every time. I tried updating to the latest video driver from AMD, even though I had made no changes to the driver when the problem started happening, and problem still persists. The program is not installed in a custom location, which is what Adobe blames the problem on. I have tried every solution the Internet and Adobe have to offer, to no avail. The software is useless if I can't do something as basic as crop an image.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the limited information about what solutions you have already tried, all I can suggest is to delete the preferences file.  See this link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When something which has worked for a long time changes abruptly without any change from your current software, there is always an external change taking part in the issue. You have dealt with the common video driver possibility, but you don't say if there has been a recent update in your OS, especially if it's Windows 10.

Unfortunately this has been asked before and never answered.

I don't remember seing such a complaint in this forum or in the feedback one.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

If you can find such a complaint, that would perhaps give us a clue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MichelBParis  wrote

When something which has worked for a long time changes abruptly without any change from your current software, there is always an external change taking part in the issue. You have dealt with the common video driver possibility, but you don't say if there has been a recent update in your OS, especially if it's Windows 10.

Absolutely. However, if it were a Windows 10 update (which everyone gets now whether they want it or not 😕 ) it would be highly unlikely that I am the only one (or one of few) experiencing the problem. It could still be video driver-related, but I don't really want to roll back so far to find out that everything else breaks. While I use the software almost daily, I don't always crop, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly when the problem may have started. What's worse is when it's a combination of things. So my main hope here was to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem, provide something to be found in a search, and see if anyone had found a solution. If not, any help in trying to fix it is appreciated, but I realize it's a crap shoot. The fact that Adobe has a KB article explaining that this happens if the software is installed to a custom path that contains double-byte characters in the path name underscores just how bizarre and seemingly unrelated things can have unexpected effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines