Difference between PE and GIMP in terms of file sizes?

Participant ,
May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a file that was 1.3 MB in PE to crop it in GIMP 2.8. I only cropped a very small amount. I wanted the same image quality, so I saved it at 100%. The resulting file was 4.3MB. I tried again and I think GIMP adjusted things automatically because it was set at 93% and the file size was 1.2. But I'm trying to understand how my 1.3MB file could end up a 4.3MB. The 1.3MB file was saved at the "maximum setting" in PE. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's a difference on how much compression is applied or lack there of between gimp and elements, however using 100% (12) setting just bloats the file size in both applications and is not recommended. Using a setting of 60 (8) is a much better compromise between quality and file size.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
BadStar AUTHOR
Participant ,
May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was it a JPEG? If so this sort of thing will certainly happen. You have increased quality, I expect, which decreases compression.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
BadStar AUTHOR LATEST
Participant ,
May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Test. Yes, it was a JPEG.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines