Highlighted

Disable camera raw when opening jpegs

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently gotten PSE 15. Everytime I go to open something, usually a jpeg, it defaults to opening it in camera raw. How do I turn this feature off?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by MichelBParis | Adobe Community Professional

christineb6071281  wrote

I've recently gotten PSE 15. Everytime I go to open something, usually a jpeg, it defaults to opening it in camera raw. How do I turn this feature off?

If a jpeg has been processed once by opening it with the option 'Open in camera raw', that choice and its settings are recorded in the metadata header of the jpeg file. Next time you use simply 'Open', it opens again in the ACR module (same if it has been processed by Lightroom).

In older versions, it was possible to ignore the camera raw settings by using 'Open As, jpeg', but that does no longe work. You would have to open the image with another editor (which ignores the raw settings) and to save a copy.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Disable camera raw when opening jpegs

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by MichelBParis | Adobe Community Professional

christineb6071281  wrote

If a jpeg has been processed once by opening it with the option 'Open in camera raw', that choice and its settings are recorded in the metadata header of the jpeg file. Next time you use simply 'Open', it opens again in the ACR module (same if it has been processed by Lightroom).

In older versions, it was possible to ignore the camera raw settings by using 'Open As, jpeg', but that does no longe work. You would have to open the image with another editor (which ignores the raw settings) and to save a copy.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 04, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christineb6071281  wrote

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2017 1
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it was a scrapbook paper that had never been opened. I will try making a copy and see if that does the trick! Thanks for the help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2017 0
Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christineb6071281  wrote

Actually it was a scrapbook paper that had never been opened. I will try making a copy and see if that does the trick! Thanks for the help!

Try this:

Let the file open in camera raw and click 'Open'. From the editor, save as PNG. I think you won't be bothered by the ACR module.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came across this problem, about a year after these postings. Thanks for the tip; I couldn't figure it out for myself. Unfortunately, along with stripping out the metadata that I need to get rid of, the old editor I used to make a copy stripped out all the EXIF info as well. (I then tried the Photos application that comes with Windows 10; it preserves all of the metadata--which, of course, it should. I'm lucky that I have an ancient copy of Paintshop Pro, which behaves badly in that respect.) This is definitely a defect in Photoshop Elements 2018.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I believe you should head to:
Photoshop > Preferences > Camera Raw
Here appears the "Camera Raw Preferences" window

Go to the last box "JPEG and TIFF Handling"
and select for JPG: "Disable JPEG Support"

This will disable the automatic opening of Camera Raw for JPG formats,
but you can also let Camera Raw open if the picture has the metadata to do it
(in this case "Automatically open JPGs with settings").

You can do the same with TIFF.
Hope it helps!

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 12.12.47.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2017 6
Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is not for Photoshop, it's for Elements.

The dialog you are showing does not exist for Elements.

Even if the issue is not a common one, I think Adobe must offer a solution. The parameters are saved in the file and the user has no choice: he as to open in ACR which is not always necessary. The old solution with 'Open As' was adequate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0