• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does automatic creations work with import from camera?

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to work fine with import from folders. But I usually import from camera.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto creations works with all photos within your catalog no matter how they were imported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg, thanks for the info that this is a feature. It's just not working the way it should.

I've got an album that I converterd to the 2021 version of Elements and since then imported many photos. There is no Automatic Creation showing up in the start screen. The dialog of the Automatic Creation only gives me the option to import files or folders. All necessary boxes in the settings are ticked.
I've checked the functionality by import to a new album and it worked fine. The Automatic Creation tile also informs me that it's not working, when I deselect the boxes in the setting. 

Just not with my imported album.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?

I assume you mean that you converted a catalog from a prior version of Elements.  Which version was the original catalog?

When you start a new catalog, there will be no auto creations generated and you will see the tile to Add Media until the first auto creation is generated.

As I understand you, you have created a new catalog, imported some files into it and some auto creations have been generated.  But your original converted catalog has no(?) auto creations or at least none from new files imported from your camera?

If you are on Windows, how many sub-folders do you have in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\19.0\CAHeadless\Creations?  (You may need to unhide system folders to see them, and the sub-folders will have a bunch of random alpha-numeric names.) These folders contain copies of the media that are the source for the auto creations.  If you look at the date of creation for the folders, you will see whether the feature is generating any recent creations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Win10 Pro latest release.

The original catalog was Elements version 15.

The Creations folder contains 36 subfolders, all dated to the creation of my test catalog.

2021-02-09 (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So you have 36 auto-creations generated.  Are they all viewable in the Welcome Screen when you have your test catalog open?  Please confirm that there no auto-creations visible in your old catalog.  Your original question seemed to suggest that your catalog was generating ACs from files imported from folders but not from a camera.  Are you now saying that your old catalog is not generating any ACs?

BTW, the timestamps on your Creations folder indicates that the ACs were created very quickly.  For your information, the catalog will generate a maximum of 40 ACs.  If you delete an AC, it will be replaced by another.  The ACs are also available for a limited period.  They will then be automatically deleted and replaced by others.  (I think it is a 30 day recycle process, but I may be wrong about that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Greg, for diving so deep into my issue. I really appreciate that.

The 36 creations are all viewable on the welcome screen for my test catalog.

There are no creations viewable for my old catalog. 

I've used the welcome screen to import files from a folder in my 'old' converted catalog. The organizer ran through the face recognition. But nothing happend on the AC. Neighter on the welcome screen nor in the Creations folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It can take hours and sometimes days for new ACs to be created.  I'm not exactly sure what you are expecting to happen.  Importing new files to a catalog does not necessarily generate ACs for those files.  The ACs are generated from your entire catalog and there are various factors that the AC generator seems to look at, including the names of files and folders, and the content of the photos.

How many media files do you have in your old catalog?  What is the folder structure and naming conventions that you use to store your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines