• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 12 and RAW files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new Canon T6i and would like to save files in both .jpg and raw. I have used Elements for a number of years but have only save files in .jpg. I did a test shoot with the new camera and Elements saved the .jpg fine but wouldn't d/l the raw files (.cr2 for Canon cameras). I went through the help screens and faq files but couldn't find whats wrong. According to Adobe's web site Elements 12 should be able to read this Canon file type. Any help to fix this would be great! (and yes Elements is up to date, using Windows 10. BTW I tried opening with both the organizer & the editor). Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Your Elements 12 is too old.  Each new camera model's raw format needs an update to the raw plug-in and once Elements 13 was released, there were no updates to Elements 12.

If you can live without Elements downloading the photos, and can do it manually using Explorer, then you can use the free DNG Converter to create DNGs from the CR2s then those DNGs, but not CR2s, will work in your older Elements; otherwise, you can pay for an upgrade to PSE15 (the current version) and continue using Elements l

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Elements 12 is too old.  Each new camera model's raw format needs an update to the raw plug-in and once Elements 13 was released, there were no updates to Elements 12.

If you can live without Elements downloading the photos, and can do it manually using Explorer, then you can use the free DNG Converter to create DNGs from the CR2s then those DNGs, but not CR2s, will work in your older Elements; otherwise, you can pay for an upgrade to PSE15 (the current version) and continue using Elements like normal.  If you feel purchasing a new Elements is a possibility, then at least do a trial of it, first, to make sure it's compatible with your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please tell me the steps to use the DNG converter. I d/l it but can't seem to get it to see the CR2 file. I used windows explorer to open the CR2 file with no problem and I have DNG running but how do I get the both of them to "talk" to each other? I also tried to use the "open this file with a selected program" but DNG didn't show up to choose it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the DNG Converter on Windows, select the FOLDER containing the CR2 files, by single-clicking on it, rather than opening the folder by double-clicking on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't see the CR2 file when you use the DNG converter.

The DNG converter batch converts folders of CR2 files to DNG format (even if you only want one file converted). You then open and edit the DNG files in PSE12.

Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bobbp88540457 wrote:

Could you please tell me the steps to use the DNG converter. I d/l it but can't seem to get it to see the CR2 file. I used windows explorer to open the CR2 file with no problem and I have DNG running but how do I get the both of them to "talk" to each other? I also tried to use the "open this file with a selected program" but DNG didn't show up to choose it...

Yes, ssprengel and John Waller are right.

What I find confusing is that when you browse to the right folder, you are expecting to see your raw or dng files in the explorer window you are in. No files are displayed. But the converter is ready to convert your raw files; go on patiently and watch the progress of the conversion in the converter dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What ssprengel said.

According to Adobe's web site Elements 12 should be able to read this Canon file type.

Canon Raw files all have the file extension CR2 but the CR2 format is different for every Canon camera model.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

According to the above table, the T6i was first fully supported in Camera Raw 9.0.

Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility

According to the above table, only Photoshop Elements 13 and later are compatible with Camera Raw 9.0.

Elements 12 is only compatible with Camera Raw up to version 8.5 so you'll never be able to open Raw files from that camera in Elements 12.

See ssprengel's reply for your options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answering my question! Not what I wanted to hear BUT at least I know now what's wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines