• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 12, delete folder is greyed out?

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using elements 12 organiser. I have just started to add folders but I found that some of my folders were duplicated which gave me problems, so I reorganised the foldere more logically. Unfortunately, this means that organiser can no longer find the folders, as they are gone, and I cannot delete these redundant folders as all the menu options including delete are now greyed out. Help please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

The reason this folder is grayed out is that it probably doesn't exist on your hard disk, which is why its context menu is also disabled. To use folders, you don't necessarily need to have it's media present in EO.

You are right now in list view of folders. change to View as Tree by clicking on the small triangular widget in folders panel:

This would show the folders in hierarchical form as present on your hard disk. Right click on the parent folder and select Show All subfolders. This would revea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First a suggestion, you can always arrange the folders from within Organizer which would automatically reflect in the file explorer and would leave no folder disconnected in Organizer.

Solutions:

1. Select all your files in the catalog (Ctrl/Cmd + A).

2. Go to File Menu> Reconnect> All Missing Files.

=> This would search for all the relocated files and connect them to their new locations.

When you say

I cannot delete these redundant folders as all the menu options including delete are now greyed out.

which menu options are you referring to? The ones that appear on the top of the application or the ones that appear on right clicking the folder (which is called folder's context menu). If possible, can you please post the screenshot of the disabled options so that I can understand the issue better and assist you accordingly?

Thanks,

Arshla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for the replies.  When I have added all my files to organiser I will, as you suggest use organser!  When I tried to reconnect > All missing files, it is could not find them.  I did some major reorganisation, so I am not surprised.  I remeber now why I didn't set up organiser when I fisrt got elements 12.  I had folders with the same name and many  same pictures in!

II am referring to the right click context menu.

Menu.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason this folder is grayed out is that it probably doesn't exist on your hard disk, which is why its context menu is also disabled. To use folders, you don't necessarily need to have it's media present in EO.

You are right now in list view of folders. change to View as Tree by clicking on the small triangular widget in folders panel:

This would show the folders in hierarchical form as present on your hard disk. Right click on the parent folder and select Show All subfolders. This would reveal all the subfolders under this folder irrespective of the fact if the media from them is present or not.

And if the folder is not present on your hard disk but still it shows up then this is a refresh lag. Click on Albums in left panel and then back to Folders . This should remove the deleted folders if any.

Please try this and tell if I was able to resolve your query. Any more queries are most welcome.

Thanks,

Arshla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi still confusing!

My folders doesn't have a drop down choice, but when I click on the list icon it goes to the tree view.  Which is good because I wanted to know how to do this.

In tree view, folders show up, picture have a question maerk in the top left corner. and the cotextual menu is still greyed out.

I an thinking I might unistall and reinstal elements,. What do you thnk? I could then spend time reorganising my existing folders and pictures first I have about 60,000 pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed to get elements to reconnect photos then it was possible to reorganise thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that your issue is resolved. Keep using Photoshop Elements and keep providing us with your valuable feedback.

Thanks,

Arshla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the same problem and trying to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines