Highlighted

Elements 14 catalogue backup fails to load previous backup

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear knowledgeable computer folks- you've helped me before and I'm hoping you will come through this time as well!

About once per year, I try to backup my catalogue. It is a headache every single time which is probably why I can only get myself to do it once per year. Why?? Why can't this be easier?

This time, I'm trying to do an incremental backup onto an external hard drive. In the drop down window, I select the backup path folder .tly from the external hard drive and get the message "please wait while previous backup is being loaded." Then nothing ever happens except spinning wheel of doom and I have to force-quit. Since the tly folder exists, I assume the previous full backup was valid.

I also tried to do a full backup, but that failed for an unknown reason at 56%. I'm nervous to overwrite as then I wouldn't have any correct backups of my 20k family photos!

Help!

ETA: I did just complete a full backup under a new name for the catalogue so I guess I'll just go with that. Anyone know if newer version of Elements are less glitchy about backups?

Message was edited by: Jardayna Laurent

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Elements 14 catalogue backup fails to load previous backup

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear knowledgeable computer folks- you've helped me before and I'm hoping you will come through this time as well!

About once per year, I try to backup my catalogue. It is a headache every single time which is probably why I can only get myself to do it once per year. Why?? Why can't this be easier?

This time, I'm trying to do an incremental backup onto an external hard drive. In the drop down window, I select the backup path folder .tly from the external hard drive and get the message "please wait while previous backup is being loaded." Then nothing ever happens except spinning wheel of doom and I have to force-quit. Since the tly folder exists, I assume the previous full backup was valid.

I also tried to do a full backup, but that failed for an unknown reason at 56%. I'm nervous to overwrite as then I wouldn't have any correct backups of my 20k family photos!

Help!

ETA: I did just complete a full backup under a new name for the catalogue so I guess I'll just go with that. Anyone know if newer version of Elements are less glitchy about backups?

Message was edited by: Jardayna Laurent

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 31, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you in fact select a previous backup file?  Your screenshot shows that it has not yet been chosen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the drop down menu shows one .tly file when I browse via the Previous backup file window, I click to select that, then the screen I posted appears plus the spinning wheel.

I did successfully create a new full backup, and now when I open the external drive there is only one .tly file with today's date listed, so maybe it overwrote the old one? I haven't tested the backup catalog or tried to do an incremental backup on it.

Thanks for trying to help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jl28079259,

Sorry that Photoshop Elements 10 backup fails to load one of your past backups. That shouldn't be happening, let us help make it right.

Could you please take a look at the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article Troubleshoot catalog backup, upgrade of Elements Organizer  and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2019 0