• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 20 Updates (Camera Raw)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have elements 20 and just discovered that the version I am using has not been automatically updated. (my version 18.0 20201207.M) I have also checked that the camera raw plug in is dated 2019. I have just bought a new camera and realised that the raw files are not being recognised so require the updates. I have downloaded camera raw but the software has not updated. also noted that there is a new update for elements 20 but cannot seem to find this either.

Can anyone help/advise me..

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenny,

The Camera Raw plug-in is only compatible with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 up to version 12.0 which was released in November 2019.

You can use the Adobe DNG Converter to convert your new camera's raw files into the DNG file format before opening them in Elements.

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Also, the last update for Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 was a Windows-only update with the build number 20201207.m.154403 which was released in January 2021, so it appears you are already running the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you have to know about raw files:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/faq-will-photoshop-elements-work-with-my-camera-or...

The other important information is that the Camera Raw version plugin for Elements is limited in features compared to the full Photoshop version.

As each new camera model is shipped with its own new format, if you buy it just when it is available, you have to wait:

- for Adobe to get a hand on a definitive camera version and test it.

- then for the time to create a specific converter and make it available for people having a full Photoshop subscription.

- Then the time to create a 'limited' version for Elements, which takes generally months

- Since Elements is not a subscription, the normal schedule is to offer the upgrade for the next PSE version in September/October. If you are lucky, there may be a free upgrade available before the next year version.

Also, there is only a way to get the update: from the PSE menu Help >> Update. Don't waste your time in dowloading the installer for the full PS version, it will not work with PSE.

To use the raw format of your new camera, Adobe offers a free solution. When the converter is created for PS, a standalone free app is offered to all. The DNGconverter converts a whole folder of your proprietary raw file to the public DNG raw file, which even older versions of PSE can open and edit. An additional batch conversion, but with the same quality. See the links in the above faq.

Which is your camera model? Is it mentioned in the links above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for the reply. That explains why despite downloading the camera raw updates which are shown on site as suitable for the PSE that they do not operate on my PC.

I am aware of the DNG converter and have used that previously for another camera that was not recognised. In the end I ended up selling the camera due to the hassle of using a converter before I could transfer into elements. If PSE does not issue periodic updates for camera upgrades why do they not state that in the small print, I paid good money for this genuine software upgrade.

With regards to the new camera, it is a Fujifilm XT4 which takes RAF files. Unfortunately, when I use PSE to open the RAF file it does not recognise it and refers me to the main Adobe site to check for camera raw upgrades. When I visit the site the upgrades are there for PSE and when I download the 3 previous updates they do not run. Hence the query to the forum.

Appreciate your assistance with this matter.
Regards,
Kenny

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png] Virus-free. www.avg.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines