• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2018: Can save as a Photoshop PDF but then can't open it again

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a TIFF file with about 15 layers and need to send it off as a PDF. I save this as a Photoshop PDF and Photoshop elements 2018 gives me the following error message whenever I try to reopen it.

"Could not complete your request because of a program error."

The PDF will open in Preview - no problem. The TIFF is also fine. What's the solution? Are there restrictions on what the layers contain?  Is this a bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure that does not happen with all other files.

Since you don't tell what is special in this particular file, you'll have to search yourself.

Are there restrictions on what the layers contain?

Good question.

Photoshop pdf format may be huge, since it packs a layered Tiff or pdf file together with a flattened layers pdf version.

My gues is that the number of layers is irrelevant, but the final size in kB may be limited.

The nature of layers? I have no problem with shape or text layers. Maybe 'smart layers' are a problem? Did you try to simplify all layers before saving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing special I know of in this file. It is artwork for a CD. One Black and white FX, many text areas (I don't want to simplify them), and 2 other pictures. Does this give any clues? I would be happy to post the file as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lees13702343  wrote

There is nothing special I know of in this file. It is artwork for a CD. One Black and white FX, many text areas (I don't want to simplify them), and 2 other pictures. Does this give any clues? I would be happy to post the file as well.

Suggestion:

Since there is no problem in saving the original tiff/psd in the Photoshop PDF format, you could try the 'dichotomic' trial and error troubleshooting method.

Create two new tiff/psd files from the original one with only half the layers, another with the other half.

Will they both open?

If so, it might be a problem of size. You don't say which size is that PDF which does not open?

If only one opens, the other has most probably a 'problem' layer.

Start again with two new halves... and so on until you find a possible problem layer.

If both won't open, you'll have to try test each layer.

I would not expect any problem with normal images. I have had no problem with text, but with fonts, you never know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I split the file in half - saved both as TIFF - saved both as Photoshop PDF and neither would open. I deleted layers from bottom to top (saving as TIFF and PS PDF along the way - what a pain!) and when I only had 3 left it did open. I went back to the original and deleted the top 3 and it wouldn't open. I don't think there is anything wrong with a single layer. I truly don't understand and believe this is a PSE 2018 Elements problem - or I don't understand what the PSE PDF limitation are. I note the PS CC had a similar kind of issue just fixed 5 days ago.

Photoshop 2018: Can't reopen pdf files since updating | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrats for finding the reason: it's a new bug in both Elements and Photoshop CC.

Since it has been solved within two weeks with Photoshop, it will be easy to solve it in Elements in a future update or version.

In the meantime, using a previous version of Elements should work.

My advice:

Post a bug report on the same feedback forum, with links to the present discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the outcome of this?  I started having the same issue 2 weeks ago with PSE 14.  I upgraded to Elements 2018 and still have the same issue.  It's driving me batty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No outcome - no fix I know of and in over a month its just us two even noticing that I know of. I simply never save any files as Photoshop PDFs anymore. PSD or TIFF. Can output PDF when needed but never use it to save anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's weird, I've saved PDF files for two plus years...never having an issue. I just updated my MacOS to High Sierra and now I have the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines