Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2019 Organizer Freezes/Locks Up During Import

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community,

New Photoshop Elements user here, transitioning from Picasa.  I've been unable to perform a bulk import of my photos at all.  I have successfully imported individual photos, but Organizer locks up every time the bulk import process reaches 828 of 20,000+ photos. Eventually, the "Adobe Elements 2019 Organizer is not responding" message pops up.

I'm running a newish desktop (9 months old) with the latest Win10 update, 12 gigs of RAM and a 6 core i5 processor.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Some of the AVI files go back 15 years   . . .   It seems some of the newer AVI files import, but the older ones do not.

Given the age of some of your files, it is possible that they are using the AVI 1 codec which I believe is not supported by Elements.  (I may be wrong about that, and AVI "types" are a little more complicated than I am describing.)  Most recent devices and software are likely using Type 2 AVI 2 which is why they are importing OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be stalling on a large video or non-standard file?

Try selecting photos only to test if it is any quicker. You can always import other files at a later date.

Or use Get Photos & Videos >> From Files & Folders and browse to your main folder. Press Ctrl+A to select all other folders or Ctrl+Click to select specific folder. Then click Get media or Open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, 99jon.

It's looking more like Adobe is getting hung up on AVI files. Now I'm trying to figure out how to either exclude the AVI from import (just to get the overall import process moving), or get Adobe to accept the AVI files in the first place.

Any ideas?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generally have no issues with importing AVI files.  But what is the source of yours -  what camera or software produced them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the AVI files go back 15 years, so it's a mix of devices that were used to create them.  It seems some of the newer AVI files import, but the older ones do not. There are a lot of AVIs, so I'm still experimenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the AVI files go back 15 years   . . .   It seems some of the newer AVI files import, but the older ones do not.

Given the age of some of your files, it is possible that they are using the AVI 1 codec which I believe is not supported by Elements.  (I may be wrong about that, and AVI "types" are a little more complicated than I am describing.)  Most recent devices and software are likely using Type 2 AVI 2 which is why they are importing OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turns out it looks like the codecs were the problem.  After installing the k-lite codec pack (which I hadn't done on the new PC) and rebooting, the import process completed without a hitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines