• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2019 pretty much unusable

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Elements 2012, which ran fine on my MacBook. I upgraded to 2019 after getting messages saying it wouldn't work in future versions of the OS and it's a nightmare. Trying to get it to do anything without the twirling ball is impossible. I've just been trying to crop and enhance a couple of images and have given up. I'm on the verge of looking for an alternative unless there are any ways to get it to work.

Mohave version 10.14.2

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 M

Storage 485GB available

If any other specs are needed, I'll do my best to find them, but I'm not great with techy stuff.

The MacBook is about five years old but everything else runs fine on it. I've recently taken it into Apple for a check up and there are no problems.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Try trashing the saved prefs.

Quit Elements

Launch Finder and go to your Username >>Library >> Preferences

Send the following files/folders to the trash:

Adobe Photoshop Elements 17 Paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 17 Settings

com.adobe.Elements Organizer.17.plist

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

The library is hidden in recent versions of Mac OS. To get to your user library quickly, from the top menu in Finder, click “Go” whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key and your user Library will appear for you

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give this a try, it has worked for others:

Click System Preferences in the dock and open Security & Privacy

Choose the Privacy tab and the choose Accessibility

Click the lock to unlock (you may be prompted for your Apple system login password)

Then click the plus button to add the Editor and/or Organizer app. If already listed ensure it has a check-mark. See image below.

Navigate to:

To add the Editor:

Macintosh HD >> Applications >> Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 >> Support Files

Choose (highlight) Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor.app and click open

To add the Organizer:

Macintosh HD >> Applications

Choose (highlight) Adobe Elements 2019 Organizer.app and click open

Re-lock and try launching Elements again. Even if not added to the control list, this often makes a difference after closing Security & Privacy.

Let us know if it works.

PrivacyPSE2019.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for such clear and comprehensive instructions. Much appreciated. Unfortunately it didn't help but thanks for the assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing the saved prefs.

Quit Elements

Launch Finder and go to your Username >>Library >> Preferences

Send the following files/folders to the trash:

Adobe Photoshop Elements 17 Paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 17 Settings

com.adobe.Elements Organizer.17.plist

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

The library is hidden in recent versions of Mac OS. To get to your user library quickly, from the top menu in Finder, click “Go” whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key and your user Library will appear for you to choose.

After deleting the above, reboot by clicking the apple logo (top-left) and choosing restart. Then try Elements again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I'm in the middle of doing that, but I've noticed that there are some Elements 12 items in there too. I uninstalled that and didn't realise there there were still bits of it there. Should I send those to trash as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can trash any PSE12 related plist files or folders also. For PSE 2019 the prefs get re-built automatically on next launch, following deletion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That has made a massive difference! I've just managed to edit some photos and although i got the twirly thing a few times, it was only for a couple of seconds.

When I opened the program after rebooting, I got a window saying the catalog was configured to an older version and did I want to configure it to the new one. I clicked yes and after it opened, the most recent photos are missing from the catalog. I can soon re-add them, so not a problem, but wondering if that was part of the problem?

So, it's not perfect, but definitely useable now. Thanks so much for all the detailed instructions and for giving your time to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines