• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2021: Camera download to Organizer creates duplicate images - Am I the only one?

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you who download images from your camera into their Elements 2021 Organizer via the Organizer's "Import" command, do you encounter downloads of duplicate images?

I do.  I would like to hear from those who do encounter this duplication, as well as those who do not.

Please include some info about your computer, operating system, and any atypical conditions or setup you may have.

Thanks, Jerry

________________________________________________________________________________________ Fuji HS50EXR, Samsung S9+. Nikon Coolpix P950. Just transitioned from PSE and PE 9 to 2021
TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a thread at the Photoshop Elements and More forum that adds more detail to this issue:

https://photoshopelementsandmore.com/thread/7527/downloading-organizer-duplicate-images

________________________________________________________________________________________ Fuji HS50EXR, Samsung S9+. Nikon Coolpix P950. Just transitioned from PSE and PE 9 to 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, 17 have viewed this thread so far as of Jan 7th.  Either they don't have Elements 2021, or just aren't moved to respond that they do or not experience this double image camera download quirk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And from those 17 'views' there are probably several from 'bots' harvesting data for search engines, not real humans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have faced this problem for many years, but I think I have figured it out.  I shoot in both raw and jpg.  When I import using the APD, I have it set to automatically stack these files.  My grid ends up with raw files on top and jpegs below.

I also don't remove files from my memory cards until I run out of space (largely for safety reasons until I do a backup of my photo and video files).  I use large memory cards, so I frequently import from the same card several times before the files are deleted from a card.  This frequently results in duplicate files being imported from the card, even though I filter the APD import to avoid duplicates.

As I am sure Michel has explained elsewhere, the OS cannot store duplicate file names in the same path.  So, I end up with the duplicate files with a -1 suffix created to comply with the OS rules.  It finally occurred to me that the only duplicate files were either jpgs or files that I had deleted from the catalog.

My conclusion is that the APD only looks for files that are visible in the grid.  Since my jpegs are hidden in a stack and the deleted files are obviously not in the catalog, they will be available for import once again from my memory card.

I will be interested if you can confirm my theory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a quick look at the other forum discussion you linked and saw that you may be using the APD to import from your phone.  While I doubt whether it is the same problem, I have experienced duplicate files being imported from my iPhone.  This began with Elements 2021 and I'm still trying to figure out the cause.  What I have discovered, so far, is that the APD is seeing duplicate storage folders on my iPhone.  If I use the Browse Folders dialog in the APD, this is what I see:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.01.07_12h15m29s_000_SnapCollage.png

There are duplicate DCIM folders with duplicate sub-folders.  If I only check one of the sub-folders for import, no duplicates are imported.

Windows File Explorer only shows one DCIM folder for my phone.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.01.07_12h28m28s_000_SnapCollage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New info:

As I indicated in the other forum, after additional experimentation I discovered this:

Images transferred from my camera via USB cable to my computer downloaded into the Organizer = duplicates.

Images transferred directly from my SD card into my computer's card reader into the Organizer = NO duplicates.

What 'splains that!?

Images transferred from my phone via USB cable to my computer into the Organizer = NO duplicates.

I'm currently charging up the battery in a pocket Canon that's been laying around.  I'll update with those results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what "ADP import from my phone" is.  I have a Samsung S9 and do not have any duplication issues from my phone. 

If I recall from downloading from the phone a few days ago, the Organizer downloader remembers where the last location was of the image file images were last downloaded from, in my case"SD card:DCIM:Camera" is the correct file path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahaa! Adobe Photoshop Downloader.  Got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded photos to the Organizer from an 8-year old Canon pocket phone via USB cable.  No duplicates.

I would love to test again using my new Nikon Coolpix P950, but sent it back for exchange.  So as of this moment, only my Fuji shows duplicates in the Organizer, but only via USB cable, not with SD card directly in the computer slot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg_S. thank you so much! That solution worked for me. I was very frustrated having over a thousand pictures transferring in duplicate. Not sure I understand the reasoning, but it worked fr me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes. - We use a Canon EOS 650D with same problem. - I am close to delete this nice program.

1. double pictures

2. organizer is regular stopping.

3. very slow  😞

Pictures are on NAS network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Questions for you, UlrikeSEDD:

1.  How were images transferred from the camera to the Organizer:  USB cable; SD card into the computer; or some additional intermediate steps?

2. Have you tried different methods of transfer?  Were the results the same or different?

3. If you have more than one camera, have you tried more than one camera to see if there is a different result?

In my scenario, I cannot understand why with one camera, I get different results between downloading images to the Organizer via USB cable compared to inserting the SD card directly into the computer for transfer to the Organizer.  But with other cameras I can download to the Organizer via USB cable WITHOUT getting duplicate images in the Organizer.  All this remains a mystery.

I was glad to discover that the direct SD card transfer method did NOT create multiple images in the Organizer.  Why?  Because I love the features of the Elements 2021 program, especially its search function (search the word "bird" or "car" or "dog" or "person" and it will display those things without you ever having tagged or named them.)  And the expanded "Guides" I have found to be really helpful.  Plus the ability to tweak .jpgs with RAW settings.  Plus I am accustomed to the interface from 10 years of use, compared to learning a totally new interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Transfer was done via USB cable from the camera.
We have also an iPhone with same behavior.
When we are importing from HD, the organizer is not showing the new directory/images. After program closure and re-open, the organizer give a message and than importing again with a good result.

Br
Ulrike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gfmucci said:

If I recall from downloading from the phone a few days ago, the Organizer downloader remembers where the last location was of the image file images were last downloaded from, in my case"SD card:DCIM:Camera" is the correct file path.

What shows when you click on the Browse Folders button in the APD, when you have your phone or cameras connected?  Can you give us some screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is the screenshot of my Galaxy S9+ phone opened by Organizer's "Get Photos from" folder. The "Select Folders" window does not open further, but the checked DCIM file is not on the "Main" section of the phone, but under the "Card" subheading which cannot be seen in the screenshot.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 185212.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I consistently experience this problem each time I download pictures from my camera via a cable.  I use Windows 10 (latest) and Photoshop Elements Organizer 2021.

I believe this issue started for me when I got a new computer, installed Photoshop Elements on the new computer, and imported the Photoshop Elements catalogue that I had previously used on my old computer.  From that point forward, I have experienced the problem on my new computer upon each download of images from my camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I came upon this thread when experiencing this issue in PSE 2023... Did you ever resolve the issue? If so it would be great with a pointer to the resolution. I am posting here because this was the thread that helped me! This started happening when I switched to a new computer without card reader and had to connect to my Nikon camera using the USB cable. I think I have resolved the issue by selecting only one of the duplicated folderstructures detected by the APD and mentioned by Greg.

/Fredrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines