• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2021 freezing after 30 mins of use and .psd files are corrupted and lost.

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.  Can somebody help me?

Since the last update, my Elements 2021 has been freezing.  This has happened while working on a file, the screen freezes and I can't even end Elements with Windows Ctrl Alt Del command.  I have to turn my computer right off and then back on.  The file I have been working on is retrieved as a black file with nothing in it.  Yesterday, I deleted Elements 2021 from my system and reloaded it.  Today it froze again.  Below is some further info:  (...also I don't use the Cloud).

I have an ASUS gaming computer which is about 2 years old, but should meet all the requirements for Elements 2021.

Elements 2021-1.JPGElements 2021-2.JPG

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I updated my Nvidia driver directly from their site.

.....I noticed that when Elements freezes, it seems to do so after I save (using Ctrl S, or File Save To).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also:

How full is your hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tons of room on both my C and D drive.  (I did a major clean-up job a few months ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Organizer, go to Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis and uncheck all of the media analysis options.  If that makes a difference, there is a lot of activity that may be going on in the background that is interfering with the Editor.  If you want to perform face recognition and other analysis on your computer, leave the computer on overnight when you are not otherwise using the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . .  also what kind of editing are you performing?  If you are creating a lot of layers with large size files, there may be a memory overload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have all the media analysis and facial recognition stuff unchecked.  

The image I am working on consists of three layers - 1 original, 1 copy and a blank layer in which I am generating snow with a brush.   I have done many images with many layers and have never run into this problem.

I am sure now that there is an issue with the save feature - it has only been after I have saved the document a number of times that Elements freezes.  None of my other applications freeze; however, when Elements freezes I have to shut the computer down and restart.  I am almost to the point where I will revert back to Elements2020......

btw.....thanks everyone....I appreciate your help!

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay....so I've tried everything I can think of and my Elements still keeps freezing when I try to save for the third time.  I have now taken Elements 2021 and Premier Elements 2021 off my system and am installing only Elements 2020.  This should tell me if it is something I am doing, or perhaps a Windows 10 issue, if 2020 freezes too (as it never did in the past).

I am also wondering if it is the particular activity I am working on that is causing the freeze.  I am using an watercolor brush to make snowflakes from a photo I took whereby the snowflakes are black in the image. I am going over these snowflakes (of which there are hundreds) with this brush on a separate layer.  Is it possible that there is a limit to how many times you can use a particular brush - i.e. some sort of buffer gets filled up causing freezing.  If so, is there a way to clear this buffer or memory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thought I would check in to let you know the latest.

I removed Elements 2021 and reloade Elements 2020.

I have had absolutely no problems with 2020 doing the same thing I was doing in 2021.

No lock-ups and no corrupted files.

....so my conclusion is that something is going on with Elements 2021 and saving files.  Freezing can be handled, but corrupted files are a problem.

I hope this can be resolved.

....side note.....no Adobe Cloud which I do not use or want on my system - yay!

....having said all that, I LOVE Elements as my photo editor, organizer, and ability to use plug-ins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines