• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2021 Layers versus filters for image editing

Participant ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having recently finished digitizing more than 1000family photos from 1880s on, I Purchased photoshop elements 2021 with the hope of enhancing and restoring  images during  What I predict to be a long, cold Covid winter 2020- 2021. I've read as much information as I could, watched older versions of Photoshop elements in Linked-In classes. I understand there are three modes, quick, guided, and expert.

I want to tackle expert for this project. my first question is regarding the tab "enhance".

1. I've read that I do not want destructive editing, but how is this a problem if I enhance on a copy of the image?

2.  I'm also confused regarding whether I would use filters or layers to edit an image?

Without anyone to help me face-to-face, this has been a frustrating albeit excellent challenge for me.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Non desructive editing:

To be clear, Non destructive editing is different from editing a copy. In that case, the original is not destroyed, but the copy is modified (not destroyed). The purpose of any editing software is to enhance = modify. So why do people speak about ' non destructive workflows' and distinguish pixel editors from 'non destructive' (better called 'parametric') editors?

The Photoshop and Photoshop Elements editors change the pixels of your image file. Lightroom and ACR in Photo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

While I don't want to add too much to your plate, I would highly recommend using the Organizer rather than Bridge for your sifting through photos project.  While some of your tag work in Bridge may seem wasted, it should not take too long to replicate it using the Organizer's artificial intelligence, particularly with respect to face recognition. 

As for your macro photography editing, are you thinking about focus stacking?  If so, that is not really a strength of Elements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

@dianef31111009 said:

I dug further and found in guided mode special edits, a gem: "restore old photo guided edit". Nine locked in order steps (you cannot go backwards).

You can go backwards in a Guided Edit.  Use the Ctrl+Z (undo) keyboard shortcut.  You can also redo an undone step using Ctrl+Y.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This photo is not 1910 (I do not know how to delete a post in error), but rather one of a series of photographs that I scanned. It dates back to the 1860s, the 13th cavalry in Texas during the Civil War. 

I scanned photographs of long lines of cavalry marching in a city, of skirmishes, and the like.  I will tackle those after I have gained facility with editing.

I am very impressed with the initial editing you applied to the photograph. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines