• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2021 Organizer keeps crashing while importing. Are HEIC files to blame?

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Elements 2021 Photoshop and Organizer and trying to import about 17,000 images and Oranizer keeps crashing (and rebooting my PC) before completing the import.  I have many HEIC pics from my various versions of iPhones over the years. I am running Organizer on a Windows 10 PC.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing from your iPhone or from your hard drive? 

Do you have the Microsoft HEIF extensions installed?  See this article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploading from images already in my PC, and I believe I do have the HEIF extensions installed...Going to the MS Store and trying to launch the install and the program states it is already installed.  Is there a way to see what is installed in Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Settings>Apps and Features and you should see the following listed:

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.14_16h40m21s_002_.png

However, Microsoft has just issued a vulnerability warning about HEIF files and have apparently updated the extensions within the past few days.  Take a look at this link.  It may be worth using this opportunity to update the extensions on your machine.  There is a link in the web page for updating the extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue. There is a massive memory leak in the Photoshop Elements Organizer when importing HEIC files. The graph below is approximately 200 images and 2 minutes into the import and you see it is using 26 GB of memory. The memory usage just keeps going up at the same rate until the organizer crashes. If I import 100 images at a time, then it completes successfully. That is not a realistic option though when I have thousands of images to import.

Sirideain_1-1606678455198.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. It seems to be a memory leak indeed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue. Whenever try to import media from PC, organizer leak memory so much so that the running browser also crashes.. I am not sure if it is related to AMD machine as I have Ryzen 7 PC! It is very annoying as I cant use organizer at all and even Premiere Elements 2021 crashes too often!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  Software uses a ton of memory then freezes.  Tried on an A10pro amd with 8gb ram and intel i7 with 24gb ram.  Two seperate machines and replicated error.  Sad, this software worked so well in the past.  Adobe stop installing so much bloatware and get down to what the software is supposed to do.  Organize photos/video with a light ability to edit.  Create a realtime analyze button to turn it on and off when needed.  Why bury it when the average user has not clue.  The built windows photo organizer is 10 times better than this one.  Microsoft caught up.  Wondering why I wasted money on this software to beta test it for Adobe.  Wait, I thought Adobe was reputable software vendor name...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, memory presure crashes Win 10s. Such a shame it is not even fixed the latest update .  Adding an insult, it says these HEIC file are not compatible where as some of the HEIC files can be imported. Why would I purchase these software if I cannot import my phone picture. It is one thing it needs to do for a consumer product, work with phone picutres. I am beyond frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost a year after this memory leak was reported. I just bought PhotoShop Elements 2021 and now I can't access my photos from the organizer anymore. What a waste of cash.

Does Adobe staff read these forums?

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to resolve this issue?

I just installed PSE 2021

Have 30000 images to import and this makes me want to wait.

Is anyone here successfully using PSE 2021 organizer and 30k+ jpgs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported sub folders one at a time and killed the application in between. It's not jpg files that are the problem, it's the HEIC apple format ones. It's possible the memory leak is caused by Microsoft's heic libraries.

my learning was to fix our iPhones to not use heic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@george.cummings1, my Elements 2021 catalog has about 225k media files, of which about 2,500 are iPhone .heic images.  Since I have plenty of storage space on my computer, I see no value in importing my iPhone files in .heic format.  I have now adopted the practice of using the iPhone options to shoot in HEIF (.heic) format to save space on my phone, but to convert to jpeg when importing to my computer.  I have experienced problems importing files from my iPhone using various different programs.  So I consider it to be an Apple or Microsoft OS issue.  (The problem is particularly acute with video files.)

Here are my iPhone settings for the Camera app>Format:

IMG_0089 -small.png

And here are the Settings for the Photos app:

IMG_0090 copy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines