• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 8 on Windows 7 moving to Elements 2020 on Windows 10

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Elements 8 installed on my laptop running Windows 7 and want to buy a new laptop with Windows 10. I am concerned about compatability and migration of my 25,000 photos from the old laptop to the new one.

1. Is it possible to transfer my Elements 8/Windows 7 photos to Windows 10? If so, any cautions or tips would be greatly appreciated. (for example: if I would first have to transfer all photos to an external hard drive and then upload that to the new Windows system, etc.)

2. If the above transfer is possible, would I be able to edit these old photos (stored on Elements 8) on a newly installed Elements 2020?

3. If #2 above is not possible, is it possible to install Elements 8 (and the associated 25,000 photos) on a Windows 10 system, and then also install Elements 2020 on that new Windows 10 laptop and use that for all new photos/editing?

I realize that Elements 8/Windows 7 are old and may not even run under Windows 10 so I would welcome any precautions or ideas you have on this matter.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Ken Manning

jkmanningjr@yahoo.com

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

You have to do a full backup on an external drive. This will save both your catalog and your media files. Then, from the new computer and PSE version, you do a restore on custom location (a master directory of your choice). 

The old version catalog will be converted automatically at the end of the restore to the new PSE2020 format.

You don't need to reinstall PSE8, but that's possible. Both versions are independent programs. Installing PSE8 on Win 10 is possible, but you may have to download some old Windows DLLs for compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I installed PSEv.8  (from the original disks) on my new desktop with WIN 10. No problem at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hatstead, thanks for the quick response. I'm encouraged by your response & will try it as soon as I order my new laptop & Elements SW> Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, thanks for the very thorough and quick response. I also appreciate the link on bachup/recovery. Very helpful. Anxious to get started once I order my computer & install Elements 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines