• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements Organizer 19 backup "drive does not contain a valid backup"

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements 2019 installed on old and new Mac, current OS installed. Did optimize then full catalog backup from old Mac to removable drive. Message said backup complete. Unmounted and moved drive to new Mac, selected the location of backup just completed, tried to restore backup (tried both with and without selecting restore original file structure) and get the message "drive does not contain a valid backup." Really no idea what to do next.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same basic problem. When I use finder to look in the backup directory I can see the Backup.tly file. But when I try to do a restore from within PSE it cannot see the file. It's acting like the permissions on the file are the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow-up, my original backup was a folder containing over 136K files. Thinking that the MS Windows may have done something funky for a directory that large I backed up a catalog containing only a few thousand items. This restored onto the MAC just fine. I then went back to the other backup and selected the Backup.tly file and this time the restore worked fine. Go figure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! While I would think the program would AUTOMATICALLY locate the .tly file, it does not. So once I scrolled down past the photos to the bottom of the external database, I found the "tally" file, selected it, and it worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with PSE 2021 -- the process would not automatically find the .tly file in the folder. I had to scroll to the bottom to select it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to restore my PSE catalog from old unbootable Win 7 computer to Win 10 computer with PSE 2020 installed.  I do have a backup copy of the My Catalog directory with a catalog.pse18db in it, but that won't work, and I can't find a .tly file anywhere.  What folder is the .tly file supposed to live in??  I'm totally confused. Keep getting error mesg "The disc drive in drive XX [where my old My Catalog folder is] does not contain a valid backup".  Help please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to restore my PSE catalog from old unbootable Win 7 computer to Win 10 computer with PSE 2020 installed.  I do have a backup copy of the My Catalog directory with a catalog.pse18db in it, but that won't work, and I can't find a .tly file anywhere.  What folder is the .tly file supposed to live in??  I'm totally confused. Keep getting error mesg "The disc drive in drive XX [where my old My Catalog folder is] does not contain a valid backup".  Help please!

By @Deborah22460972wr3j

You have a copy of your catalog folder, not a backup of your catalog from the command 'backup' of the organizer;

There is no .tly file in a catalog folder, only in a backup folder containing both the contents of the catalog folder and all your photo files. You have no backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michel.  I do have a Backblaze backup of my old computer before it crashed so maybe I could find the backup folder somewhere??  Can you tell me where I would look for it?  I can't remember how recently I backed up PSE so it might be missing more recent stuff, but it would be better than starting from scratch if I can find it.  Thanks!!  Deb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michel.  I do have a Backblaze backup of my old computer before it crashed so maybe I could find the backup folder somewhere??  Can you tell me where I would look for it?

By @Deborah22460972wr3j

I am not familiar with Backblaze, but I assume that that Cloud solution would be able to restore only your image files, not the catalog; if you did not use the organizer command to create a backup on specific folder and drive, no backup folder has been created. The catalog folder is stored in a 'hidden' location in ProgramData. You find its location by using the Help menu in the organizer, option System Info.

I can't remember how recently I backed up PSE so it might be missing more recent stuff, but it would be better than starting from scratch if I can find it.  Thanks!!  Deb 

By @Deborah22460972wr3j

If you did make an organizer backup and you know in which drive (it's generally in an external USB drive), you may search files 'catalog.buc' from the Windows Explorer. The folders containing such files are catalog backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again Michel.  Just wanted to let you know that I found the PSE catalog backup by searching for the .tly and catalog.buc files and found I actually had backed up as late as last August, so I was able to restore my Organizer catalog to very current status!  Yes I found that folder in my offline hard drive backup, but since I hadn't written down when and where I backed it up, couldn't find it without the clue you gave me.  So I am relieved not to have to import thousands of files again.

Just one more question please ... I used to keep all my jpeg files in a folder called C:\Users\my Username\My Photos, and import to PSE from there.  After restoring the catalog, I now see the filename path of all restored photos has changed to  C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\Users\my Username\My Photos.  Is this going to create any issues?  There aren't truly openable jpeg files at that location right -- just those proprietary backup files?  Doesn't PSE somehow need to know the new Win 10 PC location for the restored jpeg files?  Will newly added photos have the new file structure instead?  Sorry just confused whether there is something else I need to do...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you again Michel.  Just wanted to let you know that I found the PSE catalog backup by searching for the .tly and catalog.buc files and found I actually had backed up as late as last August, so I was able to restore my Organizer catalog to very current status!  Yes I found that folder in my offline hard drive backup, but since I hadn't written down when and where I backed it up, couldn't find it without the clue you gave me.  So I am relieved not to have to import thousands of files again.

Just one more question please ... I used to keep all my jpeg files in a folder called C:\Users\my Username\My Photos, and import to PSE from there.  After restoring the catalog, I now see the filename path of all restored photos has changed to  C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\Users\my Username\My Photos. 

By @Deborah22460972wr3j

My advice has always been to never use the default Windows location for Pictures but to create your own personal master folder (something like 'My images') directly under the master folder of the drive you have chosen. This way you avoid having the multilevels folders hierarchy you are seeing (not a problem in your case, just annoying to browse). You also make backup and management of your images managed by the organizer much clearer and easier. Of course, it's recommended to store the pictures library outside of your master C drive you'll reserve for the operating system and programs; especially if you have a small SSD. You can store your master folder in another internal or external drive. I always use an external USB drive where I also store the catalog folder containing the databases and thumbnail cache. That way, I only have to plug in that drive to either one of my two desktops and I have immediate access to my catalog and photos.

So, I think that the new folder structure you are seeing is the result of choosing the option to restore on 'original location'. That creates unnecessary subfolder steps. Not a big issue. It's even possible to use the left folders panel in tree mode to move by drag and drop a folder with all its subfolders hierarchy to a different master folder and drive to make the folders path shorter and ignore the useless empty folder steps. Or you could try another restore session specifying only the new 'custom' master folder location and uncheck 'keep original folders structure'. If the resulting folder structure is what you expected, you could delete the files created from your first restore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines