• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements Organizer and face tags

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Elements 15. Had to face tag all my pictures under Picasa since i am using Synology Photostation and it reads face tags from mwg-rs xmp tags. Elements Organizer keeps all face tags under its own catalog database and there is no way it writes these information to exif, xmp or iptc. Additionally when i import my pictures to Elements organizer, it doesn't read any data from xmp metadata. So i had to mark all faces within Elements again. The thing is all those face tags under elements is only available to elements itself and no other photo organizer app. What if there was a way to export these face tags from Elements to any metadata section of the pic file... I could use exiftool to copy-move these information to any part of metadata within the pic file itself.

To conclude, please let elements to read xmp metadata for the face tags, and if only there was a way to export facetags from within elements to metadata of the pic file itself...

Thanks...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  I used Elements Organizer to painstakingly mark faces in thousands of photos in my collection in the past.  Now, I have just purchased a new laptop, installed Elements, and realized that none of the faces I marked were saved with the files.  Apparently I now have to re-do all my hard work.  Guess it's time to look for a different photo organizer that will tag the actual files...

It's a shame, because the face marking feature was one of the things I liked most about Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm a but late to this but I only just got the email notification of this. It might work if you export / back up your catalogue then import it into your new laptop, that should keep the face tags.

I remember looking into this a long time ago and I'm sure I read the reason this isn't saved to the file is because there's no metadata standard as of yet for face tagging. I assuming it's because you'd need to both store the name and coordinates of the square identifying someone making it a more complex thing to store as metadata to a photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did import my collection into digiKam, and all the faces I tagged in Elements did appear as tags of the person's name.  digiKam seems to recognize them as people tags (different than location or standard tags), so something got embedded into the files.  Strangely enough though, when I imported the collection into Elements Organizer, it does NOT recognize the people tags.  I'm guessing that I would have to do a restore of my entire Elements database, which would also overwrite all the files.  That makes me very nervous.

I still need to play around more to see if digiKam will easily do the people tagging for ones I haven't tagged yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even Elements Organizer 2018 still does not read or write face tags of any kind. Still not to support mwg-rs as Picasa does since years is a total failure for a company like Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested the newly released Photoshop Elements Organizer 2019 and guess what: It still can't read or write XMP-rwg-rs face tags.

I tagged a photo, saved the metadata to it and used exiftool to view the metadata.

I really don't understand why Lightroom does this since years and Elements does not get this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed, Adobe should be consistent across all products.  I use TagThatPhoto (TTP) to import both Picasa and MS Photo Gallery face tags; then TTP converts the MS tags to MWG and then Adobe Lightroom is happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines