• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eliminate duplicate images in photoshop elements organizer 2020

New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"ve just moved my photos and the associated catalogs into a new computer.

I now have many duplicate photos in the photoshop elements organizer on my new computer.

How do I gather the duplicates into a single image? Without loosing any of the information (either names, dates or other metadata)?

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain what you mean by a duplicate file.  In theory, there should be no exact duplicates of your files in any catalog.   If you are talking about similar files e.g. those shot in bursts, or perhaps edited copies of files, then there are a number of possibilities to find and consolidate the files into stacks.

So how did you wind up with these duplicates?  And why do you have more than one catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg - thanks for the reply.

To answer your question - it's been a long standing (5 yr?) problem.

I'd backup the catalog - then the next time I'd open Adobe - I'd have another copy of all of the photos in my organizer.

After a while, I lost track of which one I'd worked on - ID'ing people and putting them in chronological order.

I've now got at least 4 copies of each photo - and as much as 10-12 of some of the older ones - most of them with different dates and positions in the Organizer grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mike,

This is just a thought about the reason for the dupes. Check your Watch Folders setting. You may be putting your Organizer backup in a location that is monitored by your Watch Folders setting.

2021-05-30 11_25_52-Watch Folders.png

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Walter_H's reply makes the most sense for what you are experiencing.  So, we need you to confirm that as a possibility.  Provide us with a screenshot (like Walter's) of your Watch Folders dialog which can be accessed via the File>Watch Folders menu.  You should definitely not be placing your backup folders in a Watched Folder (and I also suggest that you not add files from Watch Folders automatically, because it looks like that is what has gotten you into trouble here.)

To try to provide some solutions, please tell us more about how you store your files. Are they all in the Pictures folder on your C drive or somewhere else? 

How do you name the folders where the images are stored, e.g. by date or content? 

Where are you storing your backups?

Another way we may be able to confirm whether your backups are the source of the duplicates is for you to do the following:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+K.  A search text box will appear.
  • Enter B00 into the text box and click OK.

How many files are now found in the grid?  Make sure you are in Details View (Ctrl+D) and that File Names is checked on the View menu.  Do all of the file names start with B00?

Make sure that your Folders panel is set to View as Tree.  Does your backup folder location appear in the Panel?

And when you say you have more than one catalog, are these just backups of a single catalog or have you created more than one for other reasons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines