• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

emailing photos from photoshop to my email client

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to set up photoshop elements to use my email client, the "configure email client" won't allow me to choose the SMTP port # I need to use when I choose SSL/TLS for "connection security". When I enter the correct SMTP port#, the program changes the "connection secuirty" back to STARTTLS for "connection security. Stangely enough when I click "validate", i receive a "validation passed". But when i try to share a photo by email i receive an error, "the connection was interrupted".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

Which email client are you using?

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly sure what to answer, Shaw.ca, 

the SMTP server is mail.shaw.ca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The email client is the email software you are using on your computer.

Could be Outlook, Gmail, Thunderbird etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not sure if you saw this reply? Hope this is what you're looking for.

Could it be Zimbra?

https://wm-no.glb.shawcable.net/zimbra/mail#1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

Zimbra is the email server system used by Shaw, your Internet Service Provider. You are currently using the Zimbra webmail client via your web browser to access your email.

The correct configuration for sending email via Shaw's email system is:

SMTP Server: mail.shaw.ca

SMTP Port: 587

Connection Security: STARTTLS

(Taken from How To: Set up your Shaw email - Shaw Support )

N.B. If they say port 587 they must be using the STARTTLS security protocol.

If this configuration validates, but you get a "The connection was interrupted" error message it may be that you tried to send an image which was over 5MB in size (the maximum size of an individual email attachment that the Shaw email system allows) - see Shaw Email FAQs .

Try adjusting the size of the image using the Maximum Photo Size dropdown menu and the Quality slider option at the bottom of the Share Panel. Take a note of the Estimated Size value and keep it under 5MB.

Hope that helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, it "appears" when I drop a 14.6 mb jpeg photo into share/email, the settings are medium photo size/quality 9 high/estimated size 194kb. I click next, select a recipient, next and eventually it says it was interrupted. Should I assume this function has converted the photo from 14.6mb to 194kb, am I missing a step? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When troubleshooting, reduce your variables to isolate the cause.

Try using a much smaller photo as a test and see if you have more success. If it works, you know it's likely the file size. If not, it's probably something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

It sounds like you've done everything right, so it might be there's something else that is stopping the email going through.

There's an extra step that Gmail and AOL users definitely have to go through (and probably other email services too). This is to create a special third-party application password - one that is different from your normal email account password. Unfortunately this needs to be created in your Shaw email settings. I can't see anything in the Shaw support documents online, so you'll need to get in touch with Shaw directly and hopefully they'll be able to walk you through it.

Failing that, you might just have to resort to using File > Export as New File(s), adjust the settings to keep the file size down (remember the 5MB limit), and save the exported image to your desktop. Then login to your Shaw webmail account, start a new email to your chosen recipient, and add the exported image as an attachment.

Hope that helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos are often too big to email, and even if you can send a big file it can cause problems to your recipients. I advise you NOT to email photo unless you have already reduced them to the size of web photos. Use a service designed to send large files, not email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think for the time being I will stick with Export as New File. I don't often send photos, I'm mainly interested getting them prepared for printing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That sounds fair enough, Alex 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines